• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force After Effects to use certain GPU

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On use two Nvidia Cards NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB VRAM on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014).  They have different CUDA compute level and different VRAM.

How I can force After Effects to use only my powerful GTX 1080 Ti?

Thanks for any advice!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects doesn't use the GPU for much so you may be overestimating the advantage a better GPU will bring. That being said, more and more native effects are being GPU-accelerated. AE version 14.2 now accelerates Fractal Noise and it makes me very happy.

And, of course, a number of third party effects like Element, Red Giant Unverse, etc. run exclusively on the GPU.

AE will use the GPU that is powering your display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is simple.  Carefully remove the 750m and gently place it in the trash.   Or save for a scrap build.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I can not remove it. It is firmly installed in my laptop. But maybe I can power my screen with the bigger card. Let's see ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having problems with this JensL? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

This is currently a concern for me; I'm on a Dell laptop with an integrated Intel Iris Pro graphics chipset in addition to an NVidia Quadro M2000M chipset. Is there any way to set After Effects to use only one or the other without disabling the lesser-desired chipset at the BIOS level? (That's my current solution and it's less than ideal.) Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Here's an article that may help. How to Force Graphics Options in PC Games with NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel Graphics

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AE crashed, stuck with a GPU memory error splash screen.
When clicking the 'GPU information' button in Settings, it shows some random info, but the useful part says 24gb of VRAM, and that is my secondary GPU. I have no display attached to it. My displays are connected to my 16gb card.

So, AE is not using the primary (display out) card, but switches to whatever has more VRAM?

I'm on a desktop PC with Windows and 2 AMD cards. Primary is 6800 (display out) and secondary is 7900.
Looks like the error I had was probably caused by the secondary card's VRAM being full due to Davinci Resolve running on it. And AE also wanted to use it for some odd reason. I specifically directed Resolve to the bigger card for editing and I want to do animations for the video projects at the same time on the smaller card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan​ Thanks for the info - have tried this route to little success. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

have tried this route to little success. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Work with the video queue. Contact them via this form: Contact Customer Care

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines