• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can you hang bullet points?

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a heading and bullet points following. I need to have the text of the bullet points line-up with the heading and have the bullets hang out on the left. I tried hanging punctuation using the story pallet but it doesn't line-up properly. Is there an easy way of dong this with out using indents in the tabs panel. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

This is the look you want?

InDesign CCss_001.png

You can't use the story panel to hang bullets, so:

• Set up bullets with a hanging indent
  • Adjust the margins to control the bullet position
  • Add a left indent everything else
  • Use styles so that it is painless

InDesign CCss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

While setting indent spacing in the paragraph style having bullets is the most appropriate and flexible way to generate hanging bullets, there is tet another way to have a hanging bullet effect.

I will just post the link to the instructions Control the Indent of a Bulleted List in InDesign - Webucator Blog

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is the one way I do it depending on the situation. The brand Im working with says to have all the text lined up like headings, body copy and bullets with the bullet points hanging outside on the left but not sure how to do this, at least not as easy as you can hang quote marks by using the story pallet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the look you want?

InDesign CCss_001.png

You can't use the story panel to hang bullets, so:

• Set up bullets with a hanging indent
  • Adjust the margins to control the bullet position
  • Add a left indent everything else
  • Use styles so that it is painless

InDesign CCss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's how I would usually do it, but what if you are working in columns? I was hoping for a results like the quote marks in the attachment where the bullets would end up on the out side of the text box that way it will work when doing it in columns. Hope that makes sense.

test.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you can hang punctuation, but you can't hang bullets. You can request it here for inclusion in a future version: Wishform - Adobe InDesign 

You can still work in columns.

InDesign CCss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I was just hoping for an easy solution like you can with quote marks, guess I just have to do it they way you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand. I think, in the long run, you will find this very easy as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for comment! 

Capture d’écran 2017-07-28 à 00.00.25.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… and really for fun! 

Capture d’écran 2017-07-28 à 00.31.54.png

… Color-Green_ZapfDingbats_Auto-bullet_Para-Style!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so how did you do this? It looks like your bullets are hanging like I want then to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… simply like this:

Capture d’écran 2017-07-28 à 14.10.49.png

Capture d’écran 2017-07-28 à 14.11.46.png

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well it would be easier if it was in english guess I could figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait for BarbBinder

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK! In my defense, I was not wrong, you cannot hang punctuation with the Story panel.

But here comes Obi-Wan (who refuses to be limited by any software features or lack there-of, ever) to the rescue.

Peter: he is setting up a numbered list, but using a bullet and using a negative tracking value to push the bullet out of the frame. I am literally on my way out the door for the weekend, but here it is in English.

Add a thin space, a bullet and a tab for the number style, and a tab position. (You will have to play with the tab position.) Remove the default Left and First line indents.

InDesign CCss_007.png

Create a character style (you can create it while you in the in the numbering dialog box above) and set the style and the negative tracking. You will have to play with those numbers as well.

InDesign CCss_008.png

InDesign CCss_006.png

I'm unplugging for the weekend—can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time. this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Barb for explanations! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mind of Obi-Wan, always fun and amazing 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines