Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a dropping line graph?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on recreating an animated slide with several graphs to match our new company branding. I have not been working with After Effects for long and am working my way through tutorials.

I am stuck at creating a line graphs that drops down and changes shape and colour. See image for illustration. I want the orange line to appear first and then drop down and change into the blue line.

I haven't found any tutorials that would help me get this done - if you could recommend any (bearing in mind that I really am a beginner at this) that would be great.

I am hoping to get some proper training at some point, but I need something for the meantime.

Many thanks

Lana

After (2).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Thanks a million - I have managed to do it (also with help from this tutorial: Morphing Shapes - After Effects Tutorial (and a little bit of Illustrator) - YouTube ).

I think a crucial penny has dropped now about keyframes etc, so thank you to all for your help.

Lana

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using an shape layer. You can create a path with the pen tool like the first graph. Set color and thickness. Then you animated the path and color. Move all path-points to the second graph and change color.

If you want the dots as well, you can create them manually and animate then manually. Unfortunately you can't connect pathpoints to layers, and vice versa.

An easier way would be the script "Connect Layers" (Connect Layers - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com ). Create the dots with shape layers, connect them with the script and then animate the dots and their colors and the colors of the newly created shape layers (the lines). But the lines between the dots will be linear, without that bit of ease like in your example-graph.

Maybe somebody knows an better option.

Cheers,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lana

You can create these graphs with a shape layer with two strokes- one stroke is for the line and the other is for the dots.

since it's all sitting on the same layer it will be really easy to animate.

I attach a CC2015 project file Link so you can play with the values.

Best Regards

Liran Tabib

www.vdodna.com

Graph.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also just create the dots & use the beam effect to connect them.  That way you can just animate the dotes anywhere you want and the connecting lines will follow.

Here's the basics of how to set it up Tutorial 06: Beam Effect in After Effects ✔ - YouTube   Hopefully you'll be able to apply this technique to your graph.

If you cannot figure out how to apply it to your needs tell me and I'll make a quick video.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input  martinr84659894, Liran Tabib andGutter-Fish​.

I don't need the dots. Sorry, should have said so!

I know how to draw a line and I have used trim paths before, but I don't understand how to animate the line so it drops. So my question literally is "How do I make it move and change colour?".

Thanks for your help, I appreciate this is very basic.

Lana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simple keyframes.

For the line you need to twirl down to expose the "PATH" property that has the stopwatch next to it.  You can then just set a simple keyframe, move forward in the timeline, move the points of your shape layer to where you want them to be.

Then, inside the STROKE area of the shape properties keep expanding the menus until you expose the color.  now again simple keyframes. Set the keyframe (by click the stopwatch, of course ), move forward, click the color swatch for the stroke set your new color, click ok and your done.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a million - I have managed to do it (also with help from this tutorial: Morphing Shapes - After Effects Tutorial (and a little bit of Illustrator) - YouTube ).

I think a crucial penny has dropped now about keyframes etc, so thank you to all for your help.

Lana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines