Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from AE on PC for Clients Using Final Cut Pro

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello!

I need to export a motion graphic that i created for a client who is using Final Cut Pro but i am a PC user. i have never used Macs before and so am not sure what format and codec to export with to get optimal quality. i have heard that Prores4444 or Prores422 are good codecs to use but they don't appear in AE as an option (probably because i run PC).

My question boils down to 2 things:

1. What settings are optimal to get high quality files when exporting from AE to be used by a Mac/FCP user/client?

2. If Prores 4444 is the answer to my last question, how do i gain access to that codec on my PC?

i appreciate any advice and suggestions.

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Does the outputted file have/require an alpha channel? If so, you'll probably want to use the Animation codec (Under Quicktime). Don't forget to select RGB+Alpha in the Render Queue settings. If you don't need an alpha channel, you can save some drive space by selecting DNxHD (also under the Quicktime Codec settings).

There isn't a RELIABLE way to get ProRes export settings on Windows. There are some iffy third party options out there but people have inconsistent results with them!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the outputted file have/require an alpha channel? If so, you'll probably want to use the Animation codec (Under Quicktime). Don't forget to select RGB+Alpha in the Render Queue settings. If you don't need an alpha channel, you can save some drive space by selecting DNxHD (also under the Quicktime Codec settings).

There isn't a RELIABLE way to get ProRes export settings on Windows. There are some iffy third party options out there but people have inconsistent results with them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your answer and advice. it has been very helpful. yes it does require the Alpha channel. i had heard some of the 3rd party options but wasn't sure whether they were trustworthy or not. i have had some bad experiences in the past that crashed my computer.

thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with jason about using Animation. it's my old school go to super fast codec. if disk space is an issue and render time is not, I would use Quicktime PNG. if I need 10 bit I might use Cineform or DNxHD/HR. as for Prores, if I needed to I would use aftercodecs. so far have not found it iffy for other exports, but hadn't tried its Prores option. the best thing you could do is ask your client what formats would he prefer and what options are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not create ProRes on the PC. You can only view the codec. I would try GoPro Cineform RGB with alpha at Maximum Bit Depth (Found under the Preset for the format Quicktime in the Media Encoder) or DNxHR/DNxHD NXF OP1a (found under Format in Media Encoder. You will need to choose a Preset.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not create ProRes on the PC.

this is not accurate. You can create Prores on a PC using aftercodecs plugin which is a relatively new plugin for After Effects (as of may 2017). it's reported to work fine by professional Ae Artists and I would not dismiss it just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines