• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split column - continuous text flow?

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a paragraph split into 2 columns, divided by the gutter. Everything looks correct however I want the text to read continuously left to right, not divided into columns. Is there a setting to change text flow, or another method to achieve this?

Attached is a screenshot for reference. The goal is to make it read "This is a test" continuously left to right.Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 4.48.39 PM.png

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Simply draw a no stroke / no fill rectangle in the center gutter and apply Text Wrap to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the text box selected open the Text Frame Options dialog box (Command/Control-B) and make sure that the frame is set to one column. See screenshot:

COLUMNS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. However, I want to maintain the gap between the gutter. Is there another way to achieve this besides 2 columns?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you would want to do this since a gap in the middle of a sentence seems kind of disconcerting. I don't know if there if there is a way. Even inserting tabs or using a flush space would be imprecise since the text would vary from line to line and be very difficult to line up in the manner you're requesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gutter will ultimately be a fold and I don't want the text to be illegible due to the crease the fold will make, so want to space the text around the crease. I would break the text into columned rows but there simply isn't enough real estate. If this isn't easily possible then I'll experiment with out layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the gutter is to be a fold then why would you want the text to go across that fold? I did look at InDesign's Split column feature but even that does not provide an option to make the text read the way you're looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply draw a no stroke / no fill rectangle in the center gutter and apply Text Wrap to it.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one was staring me right in the face it was so obvious! Bravo, Michael!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome!    Never too late! …

Text flowing horizontally across two text boxes

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines