• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D7500 RAW files not opening in Photoshop or Lightroom

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the (new) D7500 and took a week's vacation photos saving as NEF now I can not open them. Do I get upset with Nikon or Adobe? Or both?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't see that adobe's released a compatible camera raw for your camera, yet.  try updating every week or so.  it's bound to be added sooner or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

I downloaded a trial of

ON1 Photo RAW 2017.5

and it worked perfect I also could import into Photoshop and Lightroom but the program on its own is good and cheaper than CC

after fifteen years with Adobe I think I will switch to this and other apps instead of being held hostage to the STOCK photos banners everywhere and the monthly subscription. As a retired pensioner it is not worth the money when there are so many free or cheap alternatives to Adobe CC now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also used Photoshop for many years; I switched to Elements when I retired. I am not going to stop using it just because there is a delay in raw support when I buy a new camera (Nikon 7500). I do however find it inconvenient when I learn that my needs are a very low priority compared to the needs of other Adobe customers: Lightroom and Photoshop full version. I guess it is the world we live in. Some folks are considered more important than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that Adobe has stopped supporting Nikon RAW for pre-Cloud, pre-subscription versions of Photoshop, starting with the D7500. (I use Photoshop CS6, which was released in 2012.) I am trying to accustom myself to using Nikon Capture NX-D for conversion of RAW files into JPEGs and TIFFs. The workflow for RAW to DNG is too onerous, as many programs (including Nikon View) do not recognize the DNG format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked to an adobe tech last night; he told me there will be a camera raw update (9.12) for Photoshop Elements 15 soon. I am not sure what soon means; I would have preferred an objective statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to accustom myself to using Nikon Capture NX-D for conversion of RAW files into JPEGs and TIFFs. The workflow for RAW to DNG is too onerous, as many programs (including Nikon View) do not recognize the DNG format.

Camera makers not implementing DNG could give one an idea on how they stand on the idea of having their cameras’ output processed with software over which they have no control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Elements 15. I have been checking for an update to 9.12 on a regular, and so far no joy. I have used the Adobe DNG Converter. I guess it works, but why burden folks who have paid for Photoshop Elements 15 with an extra step outside the Photoshop program. It does not make sense and it upsets the workflow. I shoot the pix with the Nikon 7500, and download them to a computer. Now I have to convert the NEF files to another format (DNG), so I can work with the files in Photoshop Elements 15. I am not sure what to do with the original NEF files; I guess just erase them. I don't know; it is a convoluted process. It is not why I bought and regularly update Photoshop Elements 15. If Adobe is not going to support the program, they should make that announcement, and be done with it, and I will find another way to process my pix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it works, but why burden folks who have paid for Photoshop Elements 15 with an extra step outside the Photoshop program.

Why not ask the makers of your camera why they make it hard for their customers to process their RAW images with Adobe Camera Raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have talked to Nikon about this situation, They say they are working with Adobe. My understanding is that the Camera Raw plug-in (9.12) is working for Lightroom, but not for Photoshop Elements 15, but I am just reading blogs now, so my information could be erroneous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plugin. It's only used by Photoshop and Bridge.

The Camera Raw engine is built into Lightroom's program code. So when you update Lightroom, you also get new and enhanced Camera Raw features built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I stand corrected; thank you for the information. I said "My understanding is that the Camera Raw plug-in (9.12) is working for Lightroom." What I should have said is Camera Raw for the Nikon 7500 is working in Lightroom (CC2015.12/6.12), but not for Photoshop Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's fine. Didn't want to sound like I was nitpicking. Just clarifying.

Just trying to make clear that any issues with Camera Raw are unrelated to Lightroom and vice versa. Not everyone is aware of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got my camera today, i have lightroom 4 (cs6) and its not uploading my raw files.   so can you explain further with what you did about the update able to read it?  am i doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chriscrysdravens  wrote

I just got my camera today,

Assume you mean the Nikon D7500.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Referring to the link above, the D7500 was first supported in Camera Raw 9.12 (Cloud only) and Lightroom 6.12. So you'll never eb able to open Raw D7500 files in your versions of the software.

Options:

1. Join the Cloud, or
  2. Download the free Adobe DNG converter, convert all D7500 Raw files to DNG format then edit the DNGs (not the Raw files) in your versions of the software. An extra step for you but no extra cost.
    Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG converter is not recognizing D7500 raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The DNG converter 9.12 and later supports those files.

Which version of the DNG converter are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the D7500 yesterday. I was aware that Lightroom may not be able to open the files yet. I believe I found a temporary workaround after reading a few things online yesterday. Using Nikon Capture NX-D I was able to open the NEF (or JPG) files directly from the SD card.  I usually use LR to import files to my SSD, I wasn't able to do so, so I just left them on the card). Btw, I'm using LR5, standalone version. Btw, the video files I took (in MOV) were able to be imported and viewed in LR.  I was then able to convert the NEF files (command E) to JPG and/or TIFFs. These can then be imported and edited in LR, at least my version. It's way more steps but may be the only option I have until Adobe puts out another update with D7500 support.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also can try Topaz Studio, which seems to have no problem opening D7500 NEF files. Time for Adobe to get busy and fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe seems like they update cr (by, at least, releasing a beta from adobelabs) about once every month or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The D7500 and D500 use identical processor and sensor, I change in the NEF file Properties in DETAILS camera model from D7500 to D500, for me it works well in Lightroom and Elements 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. Where do you change the NEF file properties? I looked in my camera and in Lightroom but don't see where to do it. If in LR, what module? I looked in library and develop...nothing. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The D7500 and D500 use identical processor and sensor, I change in the NEF file Properties in DETAILS camera model from D7500 to D500, for me it works well in Lightroom and Elements 14.

To change the properties of an image, perform these tasks:

1. Place your mouse cursor anywhere on the image.
  2. Right-click, and select Image Properties from the menu. The image properties dialog is displayed.
  3. Click on Details.
  4. Go to camera model.
  5. Change NIKON D7500 to NIKON D500.
  6. Click OK to close the dialog.

To change the properties to many pictures is better to use a special software like "File property Edit".

To change properties of multiple photos at the same time.

1. Make sure the photos are all in the same file.

2. Select all of them by either clicking each once while pressing down Ctrl (Control button) or pressing the first and then the last file while pressing down Shift.

3. Place your mouse cursor anywhere on one image.

4. Right-click, and select Image Properties from the menu. The image properties dialog is displayed.

5. Click on Details.

6. Go to Camera Model.

7. Change NIKON D7500 to NIKON D500.

8. Click OK to close the dialog.

9. All photos that were selected will be changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines