• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 5.7 to LR CC and OSX to Win10: Thoughts on How to Manage?

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully the title summarizes my plan well enough.

Currently, I still have LR 5.7 on an old iMac which is about to be retired. I'm intending to make 2 moves:

1. LR 5.7 to CC

2. OSX to Win10

The photos and catalogue are currently on an external HD b/c I used it between a laptop and iMac.

One issue I can foresee is the external HD is formatted to Mac OS Extended (journaled); so can't just PnP to Win 10.

I'm looking for recommendations on how to proceed. Which should be done first? Transition LR to CC and then change OS's or other way around?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

The process for updating the location to your new Windows formatted drive is not difficult. In Lr under Folders, you'll see a question mark, click on it and update the folder/drive location to the new drive. If you've retained the same folder structure on the new Windows drive you shouldn't have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for recommendations on how to proceed. Which should be done first? Transition LR to CC and then change OS's or other way around?

Doesn't really matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, fair enough.

Regarding the OS change and external drive incompatibility with Win10, should I format a new drive for Win10 and just copy the MacOS Extended drive contents to new Win-compatible drive? Other way of doing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, I've copied the photos from the Mac OS compatible drive to another drive formatted for Win10 access with the same file structure.

Can I move the old .lrcat file to new computer and rename the windows drive the same as the original Mac OS drive to complete the migration? Any problems to see with that?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the catalog file to the new computer. As far as I know, you cannot rename a Windows drive to be the same as the Mac Drive, Windows uses letters rather than names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process for updating the location to your new Windows formatted drive is not difficult. In Lr under Folders, you'll see a question mark, click on it and update the folder/drive location to the new drive. If you've retained the same folder structure on the new Windows drive you shouldn't have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has worked just great... Thank you. I thought it may be this simple but I guess just wanted some reassurance. There are a lot of images in the catalogue so I was worried I might mess it up!

(I was away for a bit so just got to try your suggestion now.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines