• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening image in Elements 15 after saving it in adobe camera raw (ACR)

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot in raw using a Canon 60d.  Usually, after uploading a batch of images to my iMAC (OS Sierra), I first open them in ACR.  After initial adjustments (noise reduction, etc.), I save them as .dng files and then open them in PSE15.   Here's my issue.

The original raw file is 5184 x 3456 (18mb).  However, upon opening it in PSE15, the size has been reduced to 1086 x 751. Now for my question . . .  Is there a way to preserve the original .dng image size when opening it in PSE15 for further post work?

Many thanks for any help in this matter.

michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eric'sdad  wrote

I shoot in raw using a Canon 60d.  Usually, after uploading a batch of images to my iMAC (OS Sierra), I first open them in ACR.  After initial adjustments (noise reduction, etc.), I save them as .dng files and then open them in PSE15.   Here's my issue.

The original raw file is 5184 x 3456 (18mb).  However, upon opening it in PSE15, the size has been reduced to 1086 x 751. Now for my question . . .  Is there a way to preserve the original .dng image size when opening it in PSE15 for further post work?

Many thanks for any help in this matter.

michael

When you save in the DNG format (this is not necessary at all), you have the option to use 'lossy' format options which include the possibility to downscale your image. You may have checked that option by error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michel. I'll check the settings as you suggested.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:12 PM, MichelBParis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, when I checked the ACR settings, the lossy option was not checked.  Can you suggest anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eric'sdad  wrote

Michel, when I checked the ACR settings, the lossy option was not checked.  Can you suggest anything else?

Do you start again from the original raw file or the already converted DNG?

It's impossible to rescale the original raw file. You can only rescale a converted version into the DNG format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a raw image, an original cr2 from the Canon 60d into camera raw, press the Open button to open in the pse Editor and then go to Image>Resize>Image Size, what are the Pixel Dimensions listed in the Image Size dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking your suggestion, I opened an image in ACR. Without any editing, I

then opened it in PSE15. The dimensions in pixels are 1024 x 768. I

wonder whether there's any setting in either ACR or PSE to prevent the

downsizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eric'sdad  wrote

Taking your suggestion, I opened an image in ACR.  Without any editing, I

then opened it in PSE15.  The dimensions in pixels are 1024 x 768.  I

wonder whether there's any setting in either ACR or PSE to prevent the

downsizing.

There is no downsizing in ACR (nor in PSE at that stage). What is the size in pixels shown in the Finder for the original .CR2 raw file?

Could you share a test .CR2 file via Dropbox or similar?

Even the compressed Canon "sraw" raw file format is 2592 x 1728...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an image I copied directly from Apple Photos.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM, MichelBParis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the canon cr2s from apple photos into photoshop elements?

If so, that won't work.

When you think your opening a camera raw file into pse from Photos your really just opening a jpeg copy.

You have to go the folder where the original cr2 files are and open those directly into photoshop elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're absolutely correct! All I have to do is to choose a different

option from the "Open" menu. (Amazing isn't it?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reset the camera raw preferences and hopefully that will solve the issue.

In the pse 15 editor go to File>Open in Camera Raw, in the Open dialog click on one of your original cr2 files, then hold down the Shift-Option-Command keys while pressing the Open button.

Keep holding the keys down until you get a Delete the Camera Raw Preferences dialog then press Yes.

crp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines