• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a catalog using an external drive

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR6 (Windows). I am trying to explore the option of outsourcing my processing work (weddings).

To date i have used the one catalog that LR automatically sets up. This is on my internal hard drive and my folders are all on my external hard drive.

I need to get the catalog in the same folder on the external drive.

I keep getting an error message when trying to create a catalog using the external drive - "Lightroom cannot create a Catalog on network ......., LR Catalogs cannot be opened on network volumes, removable storage, or read only volumes"

Please can someone help solve my problem?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running as an administrator and have write permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming I'm running as an administrator ? How do i check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the icon you open Lightroom with and choose Run as administrator.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I'm running as an administrator, tried again and getting the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say External drive but you have failed to state how that external drive is connected to your system.

Is it connected to a USB, Fire wire or Thunderbolt port?

Or is it actually a drive, USB or other, that is connected to some other device on your LAN or actually a NAS.

You can only store the catalog on a drive that is Physically connected to the system LR is running on. There also may be a problem if the OS is seeing that external as a Removable drive like a SD or CF card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a WD My Cloud (mirror server) in my home - connected through the wifi.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried, but I'm pretty sure LR doesn't allow catalog files to be on wifi drives. The drive must be physically connected, and it may not be a removable drive either (like a thumb drive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

acdaly  wrote

I have a WD My Cloud (mirror server) in my home - connected through the wifi.

Thank you.

Connected through your WiFi, Wireless LAN, is a Network drive and not physically connected to your system. So that is why you can't create a catalog on it. you can Copy the catalog to it so you can take it to your off site editor but they will need to copy the catalog to a local drive on there system to work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines