• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Black Text in greyscale mode, Printing out Red?

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just started happening.

Text in other apps print out black.

Printing text out of PSD, the text is red/brown.

.  I tried

.  changing color handling from printer to PSD.

.  printing out RGB instead of greyscale.

.  refreshing by going to file>print>spacebar

[Moved from the forum Lounge (which is not specific to any app and is not for support) and into a product-specific, support forum by a moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you printing a PSD and not a PNG?

Have you checked your ink levels, and that the colour you have selected is 0, 0, 0, and not a slightly redish shade of black?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've printed out to PSD since the '90's.  Is there a reason I shouldn't be doing this?

I haven't checked ink levels because this only happens when I print out text from Photoshop.

The blacks print out correctly when I print out from other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD is really only for Photoshop to read the contents of the file, PNG is for printing it and everything like photos and documents to avoid loss in quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nexahs1138  wrote

PSD is really only for Photoshop to read the contents of the file, PNG is for printing it and everything like photos and documents to avoid loss in quality.

This is not correct. PSDs can be printed like any other file format, and there is no inherent quality loss.

The PNG format was designed for creating non-photographic web graphics with lossless compression, and is now widely used instead of GIF on the Internet.

Portable Network Graphics - Wikipedia

litefish - I have no idea why the text prints red when printing from PS.

If you put the file on Dropbox, and post a link to it here, we could take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ehhhhh no? PNG is used for printing things like photos and documents (I did work experience in a printing company) for uploading to the internet you use JPEG because anything over a meg will be converted to JPEG. The save for web PNG format isn't available in everything and the most common are JPEG and PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a basic 101 on compressed file formats.

However, there is nothing preventing you printing a PSD if you're working with a PSD. You don't have to save it as another file format prior to printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it better to save as PNG than JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per-

Thanks for getting back.  I'm not a member of Dropbox, but would be happy to email the file to you if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

litefish  wrote

Per-

Thanks for getting back.  I'm not a member of Dropbox, but would be happy to email the file to you if you want.

It's much better if you make the file available for download here, using Dropbox or some other file sharing service.

There is no guarantee that I will be able to help you, and if not, hopefully somebody else can.

Is it better to save as PNG than JPEG?

If all you want to do is to print the image, there is no need to save it to a different format, PSD will be fine.

If you are going to post the image on the web, text will look better with PNG. Jpg is best for photographic images.

To create a PNG or jpg from your PSD, use File > Export > Save for Web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per, here is the dropbox link:

Dropbox - printing_red copy.psd

I'm very uncomfortable with this concept because I lost my last computer messing with web software.

I'll leave this up for a few days, and then delete everything.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is indeed greyscale, and I can't explain why it prints red, but it could be a printer setting.

Which printer are you using?

Can you post a screenshot of your settings in the printer driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per, I am unable to uninstall dropbox.

I don't want this software because I don't like it asking for my computer id.

I checked their help, and it looks like a lot of people cannot uninstall

this software.

I thought that these forums were moderated by Adobe.

apparently not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that you have created a new discussion for how to uninstall the Dropbox which you installed as part of this discussion.

How do I uninstall Dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, apologies for sounding grumpy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nexahs1138  wrote

Of course you can print directly from a PSD. If you printing through a printer connected to your PC there is no need to convert or export to any other format.

If you are sending to an external print company then you need to discuss with them what format they require (it could be JPEG or PNG it could be a PDF).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, yes, I definitely made sure the color picker is at 0,0,0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines