• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file, being built on two computers, now will not open on either; "You may not have permission or the document may be open already,"error on both.

Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a project in InDesign, from two separate iMacs.  The image files are split between the two hard drives.  I have gone trough trouble shooting, trashed the old preferences,  renamed the hard drive on one of the machines, changed all relevant permissions to read&write, but the problem persists.  The file shows up in the Finder  (it resides on one machine, accessed through a network connection on the other machine), but I cannot open it.

I do see a "~garden-02~vogyx_.idlk" file which I understand may indicate the file is locked, but I have not found any suggestions on whether or not to trash that file.

We are both on iMacs, with different configurations, both running Sierra 10.12.26.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

I

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Hi Bob

We are up to date on. both machines, with ID 2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build.

I have just managed to open it -- not sure which of my remedies solved the problem.

Thanks!

rob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? Have you tried opening as a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

We are up to date on. both machines, with ID 2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build.

I have just managed to open it -- not sure which of my remedies solved the problem.

Thanks!

rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it’s worth, I hope you’re sharing those files in a Dropbox folder. That way you can always roll back a version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, we are Networked -- so have been using the same file which resides on one of the two hard drives.  I did consolidate all the assets in CC asset folder, and followed instructions to delete ID preferences.  Also renamed one of the Hard Drives, since both were still on the default "Macintosh HD" title.  One of those did the trick

Thanks again for your help!

r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines