• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4k Screen for Editing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone again, my Sons new 1700X Ryzen Editing PC has been built, and my Son will start using it next Monday, using an existing 24" 1080p Dell UltraSharp Screen, and he wants to grab a new 4k or UHD Screen of some sort to use with the new PC, but not sure what to get.

After building the new PC, his funds are now limited, so i will buy it for him, as long as it is within a budget of around $1000au ($700us)

I have always like Dell Screens myself, so it would be interesting to find out what others think, and should he get a 4k, or a UHD screen.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Go with option #2, the designer monitor. My colorist friend has already purchased two of them, and I am soon going to do the same.

Over the last 5 years I have used both a 30" and 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitor and found that my 24" had terrible calibration compared to the 30" model (it was much warmer in color and didn't seem like it had the best color gamut in comparison). I couldn't fix it with a color calibrator either. Even if your son isn't doing much color work now, down the line it is likely

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend a BenQ 27" QHD monitor. 4K monitors are not necessary unless at least 32" in my opinion. 100% SRG color accuracy on an IPS monitor is your best bet if not a BenQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks a lot, and i had already found an article somewhere that mentioned a particular Benq Screen as being one of the best for 4k editing, but i am not sure of the model, so do you have any specific models that my son should consider.

He is coping ok so far with his 24" Dell ultrasharp screen, which has very good factory calibration done to it, but he isn't do much coloring at the moment, so he told me the screen is manageable, but will need something bigger and better for color grading for sure.

BenQ GW2765HT Wide Quad HD Monitor | BenQ Australia

PD2700Q Designer Monitor I BenQ | BenQ Australia

BenQ SW2700PT 27 inch Adobe RGB Color Management Monitor for Photographer | BenQ Australia

PD2700Q Designer Monitor I BenQ | BenQ Australia

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go with option #2, the designer monitor. My colorist friend has already purchased two of them, and I am soon going to do the same.

Over the last 5 years I have used both a 30" and 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitor and found that my 24" had terrible calibration compared to the 30" model (it was much warmer in color and didn't seem like it had the best color gamut in comparison). I couldn't fix it with a color calibrator either. Even if your son isn't doing much color work now, down the line it is likely as an editor you will learn at least basic color correction, so a 100% SRGB monitor is a good way to future-proof your workstation setup.

It's only $330 for the QHD version on Amazon. Not sure on Australian prices but should be just as good of a deal. Buy two with a VESA dual monitor mount for $35 and it will be a major upgrade. Also make sure to get a $10 10-foot display cable for one of the monitors as it is likely you will need the extra length with this kind of configuration.

I would also recommend looking into the Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 keyboard and Logitech Master MX 2S mouse. They are a bit pricy, but you get what you pay for. Incredible ergonomics, programmable shortcut buttons, build quality, etc. I don't know how I would get through long editing sessions without them, now that I have them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this is wonderful info, and i will pass on the link to this topic to my Son to have a look at.

I was told that he would need to allow at least a minimum of $1000 upwards for a decent screen for color grading, so for $1200au he can get 2 of those Benq PD2700Q screens you mentioned, as they are around $600 each, a bit cheaper at some stores i believe.

His current 24" Dell screen had its factory calibration profile checked by a professional calibration guy and he said it was very good, and not really worth spending $400 to calibrate it himself.

Cheers, and thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could be of help. They have new versions with USB-C ports but not sure if it's worth it besides for the Apple connectivity (Which is irrelavant in your case)... there is quite a price difference between the two versions so be advised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just researched the PD2700Q screen in the following website, and the reviewer mentioned at the bottom the Benq SW2700PT as a better option if you can afford it, as it has far better calibration options, it has the hood, and it has a USB3 hub as well.

BenQ PD2700Q Monitor Review: 27-inch display proves to be solid monitor at price point

B&H Photo Video

Here in Australia, it averages at around $1000 cost, but it is not designed as a gamers screen because it tops out at 60Hz, and my Son does do a bit of gaming on his new Ryzen PC every now and then, but i guess he can't have it both ways.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be better for his needs if he is switching between editing and gaming:

B&H Photo Video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the features on that SW2700PT are going to be overkill. I wouldn't need the features and wouldn't be able to justify paying nearly double for it. Adobe RGB is for photography. 14-bit LUT support? That's for advanced colorists. Instead of the hood and USB3 hub, simply shut the blinds in the computer room, and velcro tape a USB3.0 hub on the back of your PC if you need extra ports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can make a hood for a screen, pretty easy to do (i am a retired builder) so making one from Aluminium or perspex would be easy.

USB3 not needed on the screen, and he uses 2tb usb3 powered portable Hard drives connected to his new PC, but i just thought that the better calibration options may be helpful, but from what you say, not really, and my son is not a professional colorist, so you may well be right, and just go with the PD2700Q model (2 if he wants)

How would the Asus ROG screen stack up against the PD2700Q as far as specs go for editing, because i reckon my son would want the screen more suited to editing and coloring than for gaming.

EDIT: looks like it may be very similar to the PD2700Q only with the much higher refresh rate for gaming.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find it now but I also saw that someone was able to overclock the BenQ monitor to enable 120Hz refresh rates. If this is the case, the original option may still be a solid option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, i know you can overclock a PC and GPU, but i never heard of anyone overclock a Screen, and if you find anything about it, could you post it up here for me to take a look at.

How To Overclock Your Monitor to a Higher Refresh Rate | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware B...

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines