• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom won't synchronize folder

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue that I haven't found an answer to yet.  I'm having trouble importing files to the Lightroom catalog.  For example this recently happened after making adjustments to a RAW photo in Lightroom.  I exported it as a jpg to the same folder as the original.  After exporting I synchronized the folder it was exported too but the photo did not show up.  Thinking that I may have exported it to a different folder I opened all the folders in the catalog and did a search in Lightroom and it didn't show up anywhere in my Lightroom catalog.  The next thing I did was open the folder in Explorer and sure enough the photo was there so Lighroom did actually export the photo correctly as I instructed.  The folder in question actually contains 274 photos in Explorer but the folder in my Lightroom catalog only contains 273 photos, thus the missing photo.  Ok, since the photo is actually where it is suppose to be, I next tried to do an import.  Under import I selected Add at the top of the screen and opened the folder on the left panel but the photo that I exported from Lightroom was nowhere to be found.  Is there a bug in the program?  This has happened on more than one occasion when trying to synchronize but I have always been able to resolve the issue with an import.  What do I need to do to get this photo into my Lightroom catalog?    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Check if this applies to your situation:

I suspect you exported the photo to its original name, except for the ending jpg instead of RAW.

LR treats RAW and jpg with the same file name as a single file. If you want this to change tell LR to treat the files separately: How to set file import preferences in Lightroom

-> Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos

A side note: It is not 'Best practice' to import developed photos back into the catalog. Why would you do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if this applies to your situation:

I suspect you exported the photo to its original name, except for the ending jpg instead of RAW.

LR treats RAW and jpg with the same file name as a single file. If you want this to change tell LR to treat the files separately: How to set file import preferences in Lightroom

-> Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos

A side note: It is not 'Best practice' to import developed photos back into the catalog. Why would you do this?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F.McLion's suggestion solved my issue.  Thanks to everyone who responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe because he wants to use them to create a slideshow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just right click on the folder in question and choose "sync folder". BTW THIS IS THE WAY I IMPORT MY PHOTOS.

The othe question is still why you would reimport a developed photo. Doesn't make any sense to me. If you need the jpg for any purpose export it  to the download folder or somewhere else, use it and throw it away afterwards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hreinard  wrote

Just right click on the folder in question and choose "sync folder". BTW THIS IS THE WAY I IMPORT MY PHOTOS.

this will not work for the situation in question where the user wants to import a photo that he just exported.

Both F. McLion and Just Shoot Me have given the right advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course this works, it’s a normal step to look for new or changed photos in a folder. As I said, I do all my imports like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user can't import photos this way because the JPGs he exports are considered sidecar files to the RAW in the same folder. Either this must be fixed (as McLion explained) or you do things differently (as Just Shoot Me explained).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case (Canon EOS M3 Raw files) developed photo, exported to the same folder as the original .cr2 file, ! are well imported by the described right click on the folder in question and choosing "sync folder". Cant help, it works.

macOS, LR CCBildschirmfoto von Lightroom (31-07-17, 14-21-14).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you either have it change the filename during the export or if you have the option checked to treat jpg as separate files, as mentioned in my first post.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Export dialog there is a check box to "Add to this catalog" and the option, at the top, to place the exported image in the original folder or some other folder. Is that check box checked in your export dialog and have you selected "Export To: Same folder as original photo"?

If it is then you may have a filter set or you are in a collection and that image wasn't added to that collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines