• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open corrupt InDesign document

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was nearly finished an InDesign document (not so long, only about 40pp). I was exporting it as a PDF to send it to a client, and InDesign crashed and I have since been unable to open the file. I have tried opening it on different computers and it crashes there too. I am unable to open it for long enough to convert it to IDML. I have deleted all of my preferences, cleaned my computer etc and still no luck. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? I have read about a software called Stellar Phoenix InDesign repair. Does anyone have experience of this? Any help much appreciated as the deadline for this project is tomorrow!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to go back to your last incremental back up. You did save incrementally named back-ups didn't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be literally the one time that I have only version of a document. Lesson learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we've all done it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening a copy?

In the future, I would advise working in a Dropbox folder where versions are saved and you’d be able to roll back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try opening a copy, but that also didn't work. I DO work from a Dropbox folder, but didn't know I could autosave versions there? I will look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrote this several years ago. Should help you.

http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is super helpful! Thanks so much for this. So many more perks to Dropbox than I thought This will be my go to approach next time. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines