• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

spread lines up in indesign; not in print

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have a proof of a book. The pages line up on my indesign file, but when printed, the content of the right-hand page is about 1/8 of an inch below the left-hand page. Why? And how can I fix - any ideas? I'm working in cs6. I'm attaching two screenshots, one with the guidelines, one without...

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

I'm glad that your print rep picked up the ball and will work to do right by you.

Could you do me a favor, though? Please mark this question as answered, so the moderators here can move this thread to the archives and it'll help users who run across the same or similar problems as you've had.

Glad things have worked out well for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it lines up in the PDF and does not in print, it is the printer's fault, not InDesign’s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I was wondering about that. The difference is throughout the book. But they're printing off a pdf, so how could it be their fault? I'm new to indesign, so I'm wondering whether I've done something basic that's wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Willi; it's likely a problem with your printer and not with your InDesign or Acrobat PDF documents. You may want to double-check your PDF files to be sure, but I can't think of an instance where the digital InDesign files would line up and the Acrobat PDFs wouldn't across a reader's spread.

One thing you didn't mention is how your printer is reproducing your books. If they're being printed digitally with toner (e.g. DocuTech, high-speed laser printers/copiers, etc.) it's not unusual for pages to "float" as much as a pica/one-sixth of an inch horizontally and/or vertically when printing duplex sheets. It's on them to align/adjust their equipment to take that into account, and most high-end equipment has software/hardware tools to fix their problems.

In short, if they're trying to push a shoddy job off on you like it's your problem, don't let them. Refuse the job until they make it right, or take it somewhere else where the printer will make the effort to do it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your example of the job indicates that you presented the job as reader spreads which means that the printer would have been responsible for converting the pages to printer spreads which means that the printer had to have manipulated the job into what it is now. If your job was prepared correctly then there really is nothing you can do but reject the job until the printer makes good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much everyone! You convinced me not to struggle with what I did wrong - but ask the printer. And my rep kindly noted that sometimes that press does get off-kilter.

It was so helpful to hear from you! What a great service!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that your print rep picked up the ball and will work to do right by you.

Could you do me a favor, though? Please mark this question as answered, so the moderators here can move this thread to the archives and it'll help users who run across the same or similar problems as you've had.

Glad things have worked out well for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see an answered spot. I checked it as correct. Is that the same

thing?

Donna Gold

Personal History

personalhistory.org <http://www.personalhistory.org/>

207.567.4172 <(207)%20567-4172> // 207.266.4470 <(207)%20266-4470>

donna@personalhistory.org

Preserving memories, one story at a time.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 8:01 PM, Randy Hagan <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That works great.

If you get stuck in the future, feel free to come back here and ask for help. We're all in this together.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines