• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reduce the size of all the capitalized letters in a text frame?

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I need to reduce the size of all the capitalized letters in 1 point.

I'm using Adobe CS5.

How can I do this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

I'm using Adobe CS5.

I can't check CS5, but in CC this Grep search finds any uppercase letter set to 13pt and changes it to 12pt.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 10.14.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short of a scripted solution I can only think of one way to do this which may sound a little cumbersome but for a large document might still be a time saver. See screen shot below:

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 9.07.23 AM.png

Using Find/Change (Command/Control-F) put in both the find and change fields a capital "A". Make sure that the AA icon below those fields is checked so that the Find/Change is set for Case Sensitive. Click on the icon for the File Format: (highlighted here in red) and in the Basic Character Formats section of the Find Format Settings dialog enter the size that the type is now. Repeat these steps for the Change Format: section and enter the size you want the upper case letters to be. Then hit Change All. All of the capital As in the document will be changed. Next change the A in Find what and Change to: to B and without changing anything else hit Change All. Repeat this for the remaining 24 letters of the alphabet. If there are no hits on any particular letter that's because there probably aren't any Xs or Zs or whatever in the document. Hope this works for you.

An added thought is that you might want to create a character style that is the smaller size and also apply that in the change format so that if you need to change this globally again you can. The only problem with that would occur if there are any changes in content but then that problem would apply whatever you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Without a script it seems the easier way. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe CS5.

I can't check CS5, but in CC this Grep search finds any uppercase letter set to 13pt and changes it to 12pt.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 10.14.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works with every version of InDesign that supports GREP. But you cannot use it to decrease any font size by 1 pt.

Apart from that, it's a rather ambiguous statement. It will only work "as expected" if the entire document text has the same point size -- but what of a title at 24 points? Do its capitals need to be 23 pt then? And, on the opposite side, a figure caption at 8 pt would get 7 pt capitals.

If the overall font design is so bad that the capitals are perceived to be too large, then that goes for every font size, and a better solution would be to use Horizontal and Vertical Scale (which is in percentages) to scale down the caps. If the used eyeball method is that for a 12 pt letter its caps should be 11 pts, then a reduction of 91.67% would make the same relative adjustment regardless of the used size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Building on what Rob suggested, you can build this into a Nested GREP Paragraph Style to apply a Character Style to all caps in a paragraph to make those cap one point smaller.

In the screenshot below, I'm using a GREP Style to apply a Bold Red Character Style to all Caps in paragraphs with the GREP Style applied.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 3.12.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... No doubt that the last solution that you showed here (with the GREP style) is way more effective and fast.

But, how can I make this GREP style to be default? so every paragraph I'll open, will automatically be with this GREP style?

Thanks Geniuses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But, how can I make this GREP style to be default? so every paragraph I'll open, will automatically be with this GREP style?

You would have to set it in your default Paragraph Style, which unless you change it would be [Basic Paragraph]. The default text frame Object Style specifies a paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines