Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbering from right to left for Arabic Document

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody,

I have document which consists of 24 Page. In pdf export I think there will not be problem but If people would print out the document that contains Arabic text. Page numbering will be problem. By default in the left side of the facing page, there exist page 4, in the right side page 5. I want it to be opposite. How can I achieve this?

Thank you.

By the way, I also downloaded MENA version of the indesign. But the document I created is designed in International version of Indesign. In the MENA version, it creates pages with right-to-left by default. But this is not the case for this document.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Since you are using Middle Eastern version of Adobe InDesign, in the new document window, or in the menu File > Document Setup, you can choose the Right-to-Left binding direction as shown below. Then, the usual auto page numbering in the master pages will allow you to paginate in the right order ie. page 4 on the right of the spread, and page 5 on the left.

Binding-direction.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is properly called the "Binding direction". The online Help "Arabic and Hebrew features in InDesign: Binding directions" doesn't help (it merely defines the term again without stating where it can be changed), but here is an earlier thread with your exact same question: How to add Arabic format in the Binding Direction options of Adobe Indesign CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are using Middle Eastern version of Adobe InDesign, in the new document window, or in the menu File > Document Setup, you can choose the Right-to-Left binding direction as shown below. Then, the usual auto page numbering in the master pages will allow you to paginate in the right order ie. page 4 on the right of the spread, and page 5 on the left.

Binding-direction.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. These suggestions helped me to solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks from middle east : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Adobe CC 2019, there is no binding direction option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you have InDesign version with Arabic support or Middle Eastern version (ME). Here is a topic that may shed light on how to acquire InDesign ME version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines