• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I choose colours in Library for Prefs

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi apologies if this seems a basic or previously answered question but I need some help that I've not managed to find elsewhere.

I create a colour lets say 'Special Red' in my document and add it to 'My Library' so it is available. Now I go to my InDesign Preferences and choose 'Grids' or 'Guides and Pasteboard' for example and then want to change my grids or guides colours to the 'Special Red' created in My Library. So I go to Custom Colour but I don't want to remake 'Special Red' for each I just want to load it from My Library. With some colour choices (top row) I have the option to File-Open from the cog which looks like is the way to do it but I can't locate My Library.

Any help/pointers please !!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Hi vossbark,

The following should work:

1. Open the Library you wish to use for your guides.
  2. Open Preferences and go the the Guides and Pasteboard section
  3. Choose Custom Color at the bottom of any of the popup menus
  4. Click on the Eyedropper icon in the window that opens
  5. Click on the color "Custom Red" in your Library and it should pick up the color for use in your Preferences

Best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vossbark,

The following should work:

1. Open the Library you wish to use for your guides.
  2. Open Preferences and go the the Guides and Pasteboard section
  3. Choose Custom Color at the bottom of any of the popup menus
  4. Click on the Eyedropper icon in the window that opens
  5. Click on the color "Custom Red" in your Library and it should pick up the color for use in your Preferences

Best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that it works!

Is there a way to take it to the next stage, in that once I've picked my colour 'special red' with the dropper I can name it so that the name appears in the pop up as its real name rather than just 'custom'. As I would like to be able to have multiple custom colours.

Cheers

Nic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, click and drag the custom color in the window to one of the small squares to its right. It will then be available in the popup menus for all guides (See screenshot.)

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 1.11.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again Brilliant, many thanks. Last question....

Can I name these custom colours? In the pop-up I'm now left with just 'custom colour' as a table whereas I'd really like to see the names that I have given the custom colours such as 'special red', 'lovelier red' 'even more lovely red' etc.!

Is this possible ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I've been able to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks anyway you've been very helpful. I'm hopeful there will be a way fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines