• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message when I select Alt-click on the cloning stamp.en I

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the cloning tool I get error message "could not use the clone stamp because the area to clone has not been defined (alt-click to define a source area)

Yes I'm on the right layer, my alt key works in other situations, I'm holding it down while clicking left on mouse, I've tried it on different images, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've tried so many things but it's still not working. HELP me please. I need this for my uni work

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge Forum is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum... A program would be Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Muse or Premiere Pro or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's regarding photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moved to Photoshop forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah

Can you show a screenshot including your layers panel (with the layer you are using highlighted) and the options bar - with the clone tool selected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-07-29.png2017-07-28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the significance of the first screen shot, but on the second screen shot you have an empty layer active (Layer 1) and a smart object underneath (Layer 0), so there is nothing to sample—that's why you are getting the error message. If you want to clone the umbrella, you need to double click the smart object thumbnail to open the .psb file, and then try again.

Or are you trying to clone the bird onto the umbrella photo? In that case, set the sampling point in the bird file, then return to the umbrella file and start painting with the clone tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even on the second screenshot there should be no issue cloning onto that empty layer (Layer 1)  as you have the clone tool set to "current and below" so you will pick up the image from below. I do this all the time with smart objects in the layer(s) below.

When you hold the ALT key and click - do you see the cursor change?

I would try the preference reset suggested by BarbBinder. Given that you are in Photoshop, go to Preferences > General and click Reset Preferences on Quit. Then click OK, close and restart Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this and now I've lost the ability to use the alt key for enlarging the brush size and for zooming but it still works for other things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake. I though the message was indicating Sarah could not set a sampling point, not that she couldn't paint because it wasn't set in the previous file. Yes, she should be able to paint on the empty layer over the smart object.

I've lost the ability to use the alt key for enlarging the brush size and for zoomin

So Alt+Right mouse drag left/right is no longer working to change the brush size with a painting tool? For the moment, you can tap [ and ] to decrease/increase the brush size. We can come back to this once cloning is working. So, after deleting prefs, is cloning working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. To clarify, you are trying to clone the bird to the umbrella file? Is that correct?

I'm unclear if it is an issue with setting the sampling point or with the Alt key in general.

• Can you set a sampling point in a different PSD file?
  • Did you try the other Alt key?
  • Is the first Alt key sticking? (true confession—I have occasionally found popcorn bits under my keys)
  • Is there interference from another application with the Alt key (hard reboot and only open Ps to test)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sorry the bird image is to show the different ways I've tried. The 2nd one is the image I want to work on, I'm trying to remove dust spots and the wire in the 2nd shot.

I cant (or don't know how correctly) select a sample point at all on any file I've tried.

Yes I've tried both and neither work for this, they do work for other things such as alt-shift-ctrl-k brings up the dialogue box.

I'll try a hard reboot now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the hard reboot didn't change anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sorry the bird image is to show the different ways I've tried. The 2nd one is the image I want to work on, I'm trying to remove dust spots and the wire in the 2nd shot.

Ok, you won't be able to clone out the dust spots/wire in the second image because it is a smart object. (And for those sorts of corrections, I would start with the Heading Brush (set to Content aware), and work on a copy of the original layer.)

But sticking with the Clone tool, and assuming that the Alt key works and that perhaps you aren't sure how to clone:

1. In the umbrella file, use File > Save to save your .jpg as a Photoshop document (.psd)
  2. Double click the umbrella thumbnail in the Layers panel to open the .psb file.
    Safariss_001.png
  3. Select the Clone tool.
  4. Hold the Alt key down and click on the line to well to the right of the purple spot—a bullseye will appear as you set the sampling point. It will disappear when you release the Alt key. Release your mouse, then the Alt key. (This screen shot is meant to show the position of my mouse as I set the sampling point. You don't see the bullseye because of the other keys I have to press to take the screen shot.)
    Photoshop CCss_001.png
  5. Notice the line is now on your cursor.
  6. Line up the line on the cursor with the line next to the purple thing and paint carefully, keeping the line straight.
  7. If the line isn't straight, Edit > Undo.
  8. If you start recreating the purple dot, Edit > Undo. Set a sampling point further away and then come back and try again.
  9. When satisfied, save and close the .psb file and you will be back in the file you showed us, edits incorporated.
    Photoshop CCss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, steps 1,2 & 3 have worked. Once selected cloned stamp, I don't get the error message but the circle doesn't change at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I take that back as I wasn't on the clone tool, I still get the error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold the Alt key down and click on the line to well to the right of the purple spot—a bullseye will appear as you set the sampling point. It will disappear when you release the Alt key

This above doesn't happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is happening only on this layer, try creating a new layer and placing the image you are trying to use the Clone tool with on that new layer and try the Clone tool again. Sometimes layers get corrupt and do not work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens with all files so isn't just this layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try this on another computer somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sadly no, I don't have access to another computer. The alt key works on pretty much everything else except cloning and healing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried closing Photoshop and holding down the following keys on your keyboard while you re-open the program?

Mac - Command + Option + Shift

Windows - Control + Alt + Shift

Keep the keys held down until you see the following:

Click Yes and then re-open your file and try the Clone tool again.

Please let me know if this does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I don't get that message. I have reset the tools though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the document with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines