Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player dependency

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I just wanted to check to see if the Adobe Cptivate tool is dependent on the user having flash? We recently ran into an issue where one of our developers flash players were removed and then a very old version was loaded. When he tried to log into Adobe he received an error notification telling him to install the latest version of flash.

I am sure most of you are aware of the issues going around with flash and in our company there has even been talk of potentially removing flash (which they did in fact for about a month) unless Adobe supplies the updates and security fixes more regularly.

My main concern is although we can publish for HTML5, if the actual tool is dependent on flash when authoring, how would we be able to use Captivate if flash is removed?

Please can someone from Adobe respond and let us know.

Thanks

Carl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, this is a user forum, staff members only occasionally pop in.

I am totally confident that the Adobe Captivate team will be ready when Flash player is removed, have more concerns about companies realizing too late that old courses are no longer playing as expected. I hope you did read this article by Akshay Bharadwaj:

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content for eLearning | eLearning

In the Captivate environment at this moment for normal projects, several Preview methods do use a temporary generated SWF. Probably in a near future this will no longer be the case. Already for responsive projects none of the Preview methods need Flash player, so you shouldn't worry about that. Publishing to exe or to interactive pdf needs Flash as well, have no idea if there will be a replacement or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for this reply.

It's given us a lot to think about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wanted to add another comment, because there is a lot of misunderstanding about 'Flash will be or is dead', which is not correct. Flash player will be EOL, but Flash itself is very much alive, probably the most important tool for gaming and interactive animtations. The name 'Flash Builder', because of the negative 'sound' since that fruilt company condemned it, has been replaced by Animate CC. You can create Flash output and HTML5 output with Animate CC. Look at this poster:

FlashInfo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources