• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank cells appearing where there should be values (placing excel data)

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm very new to indesign and have already come across a problem that I just cannot find a way around. I've searched google and these forums but no joy.

I feel pictures will explain best, what's going on. These are the cells in excel:

2017-08-01 (2).png

I need to place these columns separately (unformatted tabbed text) in indesign - however nothing in the M column is appearing.

2017-08-01 (1).png

Do let me know if more information is required and apologies if this is a really easy one. I've only been using indesign for a day!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing it as a table and converting to text after placing in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. If I place as a formatted table, the column appears, however it won't allow me to position specific cells and I get the lines of the cells. Apologies, but i'm not sure how to convert to text?

I'm trying to get the cells to appear next to each other, as if in a recipe book e.g.

150g Chicken

A handful of Spinach

Rather than:

150g             Chicken

A handful of  Spinach

The values are linked as the ingredient quantities will be changing regularly in excel (I create tailored meal plans for clients with different needs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place as a table. Select the table and from the table menu select convert table to text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option is greyed out. Can you convert to text with a formatted table?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let's back up here. Why do you have two frames? Why are you using tabbed text? Did you actually specify the full range in the Excel file?

This whole workflow makes less sense the more I think about it.

Please go back to your original screenshot. Get out of preview mode so we can see the entire page with guides and turn on hidden characters.

FWIW, I've tried this here with every combination of options I can think of and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines