• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2015 won't open 2017 .idml file

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I'm running InDesign CC 2015. Having a problem opening an .idml file from a client who's using CC 2017. I've successfully converted plenty of idml files from this same person, so I'm not sure why it's not working now. If I try to open the 2017 .indd doc, InDesign tries to convert (this seems to be a new thing??) but is unsuccessful. Here's the error I get when I try to open the .idml file.

idml.jpg

This project is time-critical so I appreciate any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Why are you using 2015 while the client is on 2017? You should both be using the same version.

That said, sounds like you have a corrupt file on your hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using 2015 while the client is on 2017? You should both be using the same version.

That said, sounds like you have a corrupt file on your hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine, you're right -- it turned out to be a corrupt file. The client sent me a new one. Thanks for your reply.

To answer your question why do I use 2015 when my client uses 2017? If you really want to know, it's because I have many clients and most of them provide me with template files to work from. Some of them are still using CS6 because apparently it's difficult for large organizations to keep abreast of new software. I have to be able to work with whatever they give me. So why do I not upgrade myself to 2017 and use it when I receive files in 2017? Because I would first need to update my MacOS software (and you can criticize me for not doing that in a timely fashion, either) before I can install CC 2017. Why have I not updated my OS software? Because every time I do, it breaks the Distiller process (and countless other random apps and settings) that I'm required to use by the clients who are still using CS6. Why do they still insist on making PDFs from postscript files instead of exporting right from InDesign? I wish I knew. Again, I have to follow their process if I want to keep getting work from them.

TL; DR: It's a major hassle and workflow disruption to upgrade apps and system software and I avoid doing so for as long as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Distiller? Oy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines