Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

relinking files from idml to indd

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have a file made in 3rd party software (Pixellu SmartAlbums) and it is exported as a IDML file.  When in comes into Indesign CC, it happily morphs into an INDD file and everything is great until I go to make the captions.   It says that the files are all linked, but the caption field that I need (created in Lightroom) comes up completely blank.   After relinking a file,  the caption field comes up beautifully.   So the answer seems to be to relink all the files, but ID doesn't want to let me.  It will allow me to relink a file 1 by 1,  but any "update all links" is greyed out.    I have thousands of linked files so doing it one at a time is not feasible.

Sometimes when I first opened the document it would prompt me with the "some links are missing, wanna relink?"  and then the problem was solved, so I have no idea how to get that prompt.  

Anyone have any good ideas or has confronted the same problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences > File Handling. Enable checkbox "Check Links Before Opening Document" and you'll get that prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Winterm.  I just double checked and it appears that the box is checked.  Just a quick correction to that pathway.   Indesign>Preferences>File Handling.    Thanks though!

It appears that the files are in fact linked,  they just aren't completely linked, or seem to be missing some vital information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SS1 - LIghtroom Metadata.pngSS2: No Title Field in LINK INFO.pngSS3 - After relinking, the TITEL field appears in LINK INFO.png

So what is the way to en masse, "relink" all the files since undating the link is greyed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hard to tell exactly, never used that another software you mentioned.

I would try to make all links really "missing" first. Copy your idml file somewhere else, open it from there, skip "missing links" warning. Now ALL links should be missing. Save as indd file. Copy it back to the original folder with your links, try open from here. Maybe it will correctly update all on opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines