• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a catalogue using pages from another file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a file of 270 pages, each for a different product. I have to create multiple catalogues with different combinations of the product pages, and I want the catalogues to update when I update the master. What is the best way to do this? (ie if I have 10 pages, the lighting catalogue might use page 5 & 6, but the interiors catalogue might use 6, 9, and 2.)

As far as I can tell, I can split the 270 pages into their own files, and then create books from the files, using the relevant pages. But this seems like a convoluted system, and besides, I like having all the pages in one file for ease of editing and adding new pages without having to create a whole new file.

So, is there a way I can create a doc that includes a selection of pages linked from another doc?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Hi,

Perhaps you could keep all of the pages in your master document as you do now, and do your editing there. Then, when you want to create the individual catalogues, place the relevant Indesign pages from your master and they will act as links - when the master is updated, then your catalogues will too.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Perhaps you could keep all of the pages in your master document as you do now, and do your editing there. Then, when you want to create the individual catalogues, place the relevant Indesign pages from your master and they will act as links - when the master is updated, then your catalogues will too.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this reply! I am still surprised InDesign doesn't allow some kind of "subdocument" or versions feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines