• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image not showing except in navigation window

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help, my images are only showing up in the navigation window.  The main screen is black only.  If I click on the file name and drag it the image is visible, but only until I unclick the mouse button.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Goodness.  That's a new one for me.  Have you tried 100% zoom ratio (Ctrl Alt 0) the 0 is a zero?

My first thought is that it is a display issue which means the video card and your Preferences > Performance settings.  If checked, turn off GPU acceleration.  Try different settings in the Advanced pane (OpenCL on / off, different Drawing Mode settings)

Have I mentioned cache levels?  It needs to be set to something other than 1.  We usually expect a noisy image from a cache levels issue rather than

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Window > Arrange > Consolidate all to Tabs as a first step.  I suspect this will not help in your case, so the next step will be to reset Preferences.

We need to know your Photoshop version and operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Photoshop CC 2017 running on Windows 10. The Consolidate all to Tabs didn't fix issue, how do I go about resetting Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, looked up how to using Edit>Preferences>General and reset on quit.  Still having the issue once I reopened PS CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I expected the Preferences reset to fix it.  What happens if you start a new image document?

Can you open a couple of images, and grab a screen shot of your entire workspace with the Layers panel showing, and paste to this thread please.  If you have a full keyboard just use the Print Scrn key to copy to clipboard.  If not, use the Windows Snipping tool.  Then simple paste here with Ctrl n.

This sounds like an interesting problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture1.JPGCaptureNewDoc.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting isn't the first word that comes to my mind, but I do appreciate your help with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture2.JPGThis file for some reason does at least give me the checkerboard where the image is suppose to be.  Same type of file, from same upload.  I did attempt a file from a previous upload that had worked before and still nothing with it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness.  That's a new one for me.  Have you tried 100% zoom ratio (Ctrl Alt 0) the 0 is a zero?

My first thought is that it is a display issue which means the video card and your Preferences > Performance settings.  If checked, turn off GPU acceleration.  Try different settings in the Advanced pane (OpenCL on / off, different Drawing Mode settings)

Have I mentioned cache levels?  It needs to be set to something other than 1.  We usually expect a noisy image from a cache levels issue rather than black, but worth looking at .

I see these a NEF files.  Did you open them with ACR or via Lightroom?  If the latter, then that might be to do with it.  I don't use LR so can't give decent advice in that respect. 

Does this still happen with JPG files? Either from your hard drive or grabbed from the internet.

If it is only with NEF files, then have you ever opened them in the Nikon software?  There have been issues where that has corrupted the file.  How big are they on the drive?  From the tiny zoom ratio in your screen shots, I'd say we are looking at high pixel count, so you'd expect high megabytes on the drive.

I suspect it is going to come down to the video card though (unless it is Lightroom).  Check the driver from the card maker's website.  If this is a gaming system, do you have more than one GPU?  If it is a laptop, does it have two GPUs (high performance GTXm and power saving Intel HD*****)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It had to do with the graphics card.  Once I Edit>Preferences>CameraRaw and unchecked Graphics Processor it works perfectly.  Thank you for all of your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue. If you disable use of the graphics card in edit> preferences> performance, then restart photoshop mine will display image, i can't figure out why my graphics card won't work with photoshop though as i have a 1 week old laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was my problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I use place embedded on my computer windows 10 latest version of photoshop it shows up on the layer panel bunot on my canvas.  Please advise how to correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines