Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Graphics Processor Throws Off Saturation

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Using Lightroom CC 2015 on a Dell XPS with a GForce GTX 1050, and seeing an issue across the Develop mode.

I've been processing my RAWs, and noticing that on export, all JPEGs seemed much less saturated than the working file on Develop mode. Only when I got the image on full screen mode on Develop did I understand something was wrong within Lightroom: the saturation on full screen, as well as on exported JPEGs was much less pronounced than on the RAW.

After exploring a bit more, I found out that by turning off Graphic Card acceleration on Preferences, the issue disappeared. Now obviously I want to be able to use it, so I've been looking for a solution. So far I've tried:

- Setting up the GForce Card as the main card in the card's settings, as well as the preferred card on Lightroom;

- Changing the system colour settings, to be more vibrant, thus matching the Lightroom ones, but no go.

- A bunch of other things which I can't remember.

I've been told that it's possible that the JPEGs/full screen are working in a different colour space than the graphics card, but I'm not sure how to even start matching them to put this to the test.

Would love to know if anyone has had this one, and solved it.

Thanks

Jose

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

I found this post: Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS

I followed the directions to add the sRGB profile as the default and sure enough the problem went away. Everything seems less saturated than the develop module showed before but everything matches.

Interestingly enough, I changed my profile BACK to my calibrated one (I use Spyder4) and the problem has NOT returned yet . . . . hmmmm. Hopefully it stays that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the option to use the GPU.

If you are not running a 4-5 K monitor the GPU option has no real benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, no. I'm afraid it has a very visible effect on everything else two, and slows up processes across the whole of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: LR is only accelerating some part of the develop module - read here: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

As JSM already said, if you don't have at least a 4k monitor and in turn have a fast CPU, it's best to turn it off.

.. dj probably is on the right track ..

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, and I've been turning it off while I edit, however it is definitely not true that the effects are only felt with a 4k monitor: I feel a very noticeable lag when making changes on the develop module, which makes the workflow much slower.

So I'd love to tell you it solves it, but the truth is that it makes the Lightroom experience much worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

josea57421460  wrote

I understand that, and I've been turning it off while I edit, however it is definitely not true that the effects are only felt with a 4k monitor: I feel a very noticeable lag when making changes on the develop module, which makes the workflow much slower.

Are you doing a lot of brushing and/or spot healing?

color calibration would affect everything

Not true. Some programs, and some parts of LR use the monitor calibration, while other programs and parts of LR do not use the monitor calibration. So please try calibrating your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: been testing this out, and changed the graphics card that Lightroom accesses, from the Nvidia one to the laptop's default Intel one. Same issue though, which is pretty frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your monitor properly calibrated? Saturation is usually a calibration issue and not a GPU acceleration issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not connected, color calibration would affect everything, not just specifically the develop mode in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your Dell XPS have a wide gamut display?

If yes you will need to calibrate it properly to work with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a Dell XPS with the 4K screen and i see the EXACT same issue. When viewing a photo in develop, it's way more saturated than when viewing in loupe or full screen. Makes no sense and haven't found a fix yet. This never happened on my old laptop. Viewing photos in Photoshop matches the saturation/contrast in the develop module.

Oh and when I export photos, they match the develop module view (the more saturated view)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post: Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS

I followed the directions to add the sRGB profile as the default and sure enough the problem went away. Everything seems less saturated than the develop module showed before but everything matches.

Interestingly enough, I changed my profile BACK to my calibrated one (I use Spyder4) and the problem has NOT returned yet . . . . hmmmm. Hopefully it stays that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked like a charm! Thanks heaps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay . . . I have this somewhat figured out now. The problem came back after restarting. Dell has an app called Dell Premier Color. It messes with color profiles. Every time one of it's profiles is applied and listed as "default" in the color management  panel, the problem occurs. I went into Dell Premier Color and then "advanced", under preferences unchecked "load at startup" and so far the problem does not return even after restarts and my calibrated color profile from Spyder4 is working fine.

I've also been trying to track down an issue where my screen brightness kept mysteriously decreasing, as well and it turns out Dell Premier Color was the culprit there too. I think when you chose "Adobe Color Photo" profile they try to lower the screen birghtness to make it more photo appropriate which would be fine, if they gave you any indication whatsoever that that setting did that. Two problems fixed . . . stupid Dell!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines