Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

memory management trouble since CC2017

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having memory management trouble with my Creative cloud programs.

I experienced sever memory cache difficulties with Dreamweaver 2017 and had to reinstall 2015 which I have been using since, with the inconvenience of having to field a “while executing VMO_Show_Hide canAcceptCommand in Live view.htm the following java script occurred” every few minutes, (which I suspect is due to incompatibility between the two editions) .  In addition to not being able to sync code with preview,  2017 required 3 or 4 attempts at boot up showing the “switch to” message before finally opening. Now I am experiencing similar problems with Photoshop 2017.

I am running Windows 7 Home premium configured for performance.  Intel i5 on a DZ77Ga 70k board with 16GB of RAM with  Nvidea GTX 550 ti card with current driver.

Photoshop and Dreamweaver frequently crash while opening or require forced shut down in task manager.  Since its last update Photoshop grows to 100% of RAM after opening only a few files and after closing them and purging all memory Photoshop does not liberate RAM.  Only closing Photoshop will liberate Ram and often this can only be done by force closing in task manager,  after which a re installation of Adobe Cloud desktop application is frequently necessary.

Here is a walkthrough of a typical situation.

Clean restart of PS shows 546.748 kb of RAM used. After opening 193Mb file it leaps to 2GB. PS use of RAM grows progressively  to maximum Ram (10, 8 GB of 16 GB), while simply idling ( in roughly 2 hours).  Purging “all” plus video cache” has no effect. Closing the file has no effect on accumulated RAM use.  I have been waiting now for 15 minutes after closing all files in PS Total Global RAM is 11,5 GB of 16, of which Photoshop is still using 10, 8 GB. Closing PS flushes RAM. Global use is now 3GB. Restarting  PS it opens with 550 kb of RAM used and the cycle begins again....

Is  CC no longer compatible with Windows 7?  Is Anybody else having this kind of problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after closing them and purging all memory Photoshop does not liberate RAM.  Only closing Photoshop will liberate Ram

Just so it's clear - this is normal behavior, as designed. Calling the OS for memory every time it's needed will slow things down. The OS can still reclaim the memory if it's needed elsewhere, so it's not a brick wall.

PS use of RAM grows progressively  to maximum Ram (10, 8 GB of 16 GB), while simply idling

This, however, is obviously not normal. This qualifies as a memory leak, and that can have several causes. Third-party plugins is a common culprit, so try to disable any plugins you may have first.

This has nothing to do with Win 7. I have CC2017 on Win 7 myself, and I have never had anything like this. So it must be something specific to your system. The question is what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

Knowing that the residual memory hog issue is a deliberate design I won’t waste any more time trying to fix it. I have to say I can’t for the life of me understand why this would be deliberate. The fact that the OS can veto this is little consolation to me compared to the fact that After Effects and Premiere can’t. There was a time, somewhere around CS6 where working between Adobe products was seamless and effortless, but it is no longer the case for me.

As for PS  progressive memory consumption, I have no third party plugins, but this won’t be a problem for me if I’m shutting down Photoshop anyway every 15 minutes to open up AE or Premiere.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all according to senior engineer Chris Cox who used to post here (but now apparently quit the company).

Anyway, memory consumption increasing without any activity is not normal. That's a memory leak. There is something wrong here.

As for other applications, standard procedure among experienced Photoshop hands is to never set the memory allocation too high in Preferences. Always leave enough for other applications and OS processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know I’ve heard that for years and never fully understood why until now!  

Naively I thought I could control memeory allocation by closing files. The reason I let photoshop have 75% is to keep it off the scratch disk.  With only a few files open it’s easily using 10GB of RAM. As I said before it seems to me there was a magic moment when processor speed, RAM, and program consumption found a sweet spot around 6 to 8 years ago.

I don’t have a “60” folder in the Adobe folder of the HKEY_CURRENT_SOFTWARE REGESTRY entry and have no recollection of having installed a third party plugin. So the increase of memory comsumption remains a mystery.

Can I assume that my troubles with Dreaweaver are not normal and could also point to this mysterious local memory parasite? Could this also be due to over allocating memory to Photoshop?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines