• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difficulty saving Indesign slides as images to insert into another Indesign document.

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an Indesign presentation for college as we needed to present background research for our thesis projects.

For the write up section of the thesis, we have been given a thesis template (in Indesign) and have to drop our slides from the research presentation into this; i.e: one page includes a rectangle box to drop the slide into and additional text boxes to explain the slide.

I have tried numerous options such as saving my slides as JPEGS, PDFs etc and trying to place them into the boxes for the write up section.

However every time I save them they seem to be greyed out and lose their opacity.

Any help or guidance with this issue would be much appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Could be an effect. Select one and open the effects panel. Also check for object styles and transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. These are my slides that I did for my presentation on indesign.My presentation slides on indesign.png

2. Then, I saved my slides as JPEGS so they could be inserted into my thesis template. When I saved them as JPEGS they still maintained the right quality and colours.

Saved them as JPEGS.jpg

3. Then I placed these JPEG images of the slides one by one into the thesis template. Template has a rectangle box for image of a slide and then two text boxes below to explain the slides. However, when I place the image it is all greyed out. The quality is still there but all the colours lose their opacity.

Inserted JPEG slides into Template.jpg

4. Even when I click into presentation screen mode the images of the slides are still appearing greyed out.

Example of how they look greyed out when in presentation mode.png

I would really appreciate any help with how to make sure my images are not greyed out as I am under time pressure with the thesis.

Thanking you in advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! Sceenshots would help.

But take a look at your View menu> Display Performance and make sure to choose either Typical View or  High Quality Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. These are my slides that I did for my presentation on indesign.My presentation slides on indesign.png

2. Then, I saved my slides as JPEGS so they could be inserted into my thesis template. When I saved them as JPEGS they still maintained the right quality and colours.

Saved them as JPEGS.jpg

3. Then I placed these JPEG images of the slides one by one into the thesis template. Template has a rectangle box for image of a slide and then two text boxes below to explain the slides. However, when I place the image it is all greyed out. The quality is still there but all the colours lose their opacity.

Inserted JPEG slides into Template.jpg

4. Even when I click into presentation screen mode the images of the slides are still appearing greyed out.

Example of how they look greyed out when in presentation mode.png

I would really appreciate any help with how to make sure my images are not greyed out as I am under time pressure with the thesis.

Thanking you in advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use PDFs, not JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I saved as PDFs and the exact same thing happens once I place them into the thesis document.

Any other ideas of what could be going on?

Thanks,

Naomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried numerous options such as saving my slides as JPEGS, PDFs etc and trying to place them into the boxes for the write up section.

There have been reports of the GPU setting affecting preview color, you could try turning it of in your Preferences.

Also, you don't need to export your slides, you can place InDesign pages in another document. Just choose place, select your ID slides document and turn on options to select a page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Rob,

Thanks for the tip for exporting slides, I tried it just there and they appear greyed once played in the template also, so maybe it is something to do with the GPU setting you mentioned.

I'm very much a beginner user with indesign so would you mind explaining exactly how to turn off the GPU setting please.

Thanks,

Naomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be an effect. Select one and open the effects panel. Also check for object styles and transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that and the opacity was down on 30%!!!

Have been struggling with this for a while now so thanks for helping me see the light Bob!

Really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines