• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link in help file to PDF

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHTML x3, I set up a link to a PDF in my help file. (I don't care whether the file opens in the CHM frame or in a separate target=_blank window.) When I preview using the glasses button, the PDF displays fine. After compiling, when trying to open the PDF from the CHM, Internet Explorer cannot display the web page.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008
Have you added the .pdf to your baggage? This is necessary to include it in the .chm.

If you want it to be an external file (i.e. completely independent of your compiled help) then you need to treat it differently. Since the help reader navigates with absolute paths, you must use the Microsoft parser function to find an external file even when it is in the same folder. This is documented in the Help Workshop help file. It is also in Rick Stone's Tips and Tricks file. Let us know where the .pdf...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added the .pdf to your baggage? This is necessary to include it in the .chm.

If you want it to be an external file (i.e. completely independent of your compiled help) then you need to treat it differently. Since the help reader navigates with absolute paths, you must use the Microsoft parser function to find an external file even when it is in the same folder. This is documented in the Help Workshop help file. It is also in Rick Stone's Tips and Tricks file. Let us know where the .pdf is to reside - compiled in the .chm or external to it.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, John. Adding the PDFs to the baggage folder and removing the target=_blank attribute from the code allowed this to work. I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp