• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I deselect anything?

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using PS for about 4 months and this is the first time it won't let me deselect from Marquee, Quick Select, or Magic Wand. I can click and place it in other places and I can access the other tools but of course can't use them outside of the marked area. I just know it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shift-click to add to a selection. Alt/opt-click to subtract from a selection. ctrl/cmd-D to eliminate the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + D is what I've always used but it isn't working. Alt + Click does still subtract though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about taking the long way? Select > Deselect?

And you aren't in a transform box, are you? In that case, press Enter or Esc to close the transform box, and then try deselecting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The long way does still work but I would really like to get the shortcut to work again. And no I was not in a transform box. Tried uploading the image again and also restarting PS but it still won't let me. I also double checked the Shortcut and it is still active as Ctrl + D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences, as Chuck suggested.

Win: Press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after initiating Photoshop's startup. A box will appear asking if you want to continue with the reset, select "yes." If you don't see this, you weren't fast enough...Try again.

Mac: Press and hold Cmd+Opt+Shift then start Photoshop. A box will appear, asking if you want to continue with the reset, select "yes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that and I got something about Scratch Disc Preferences?Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you should see :

Photoshop CCss_004.png

But in CC 2015/2017 there is an easier way:

PS delete prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get to that window? Also, I don't know if it matters or not but I tried Ctrl + D on the other account on my computer and it doesn't work there either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + D Still doesn't work. Esc doesn't work anymore either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that doesn't work, the next step is to look for another application that is interfering with the key.

• Do you have a Wacom tablet installed? Updating (or downgrading) the driver may be the answer.
  • Otherwise, try a hard reboot and don't open up anything besides Photoshop and see if it still happens.
  • And think about what application or updates were installed just before this started happening. Are you on Win 10? Did the new "Creators Update" just get installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No tablet of any kind is installed. Computer has been rebooted many times already. It is Windows 7, and I'm not sure if anything else got installed, how can I find out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + D Still doesn't work. Esc doesn't work anymore either.

Esc never worked to deselect.

It is Windows 7, and I'm not sure if anything else got installed, how can I find out?

I'm not the one to answer that question. Someone here may know, or you can check the Microsoft site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to deselect but I used it all the time to cancel what I was doing (moving something, placing something, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Esc randomly started working again but Ctrl + D still won't deselect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the whole thing seemed to fix itself so, nevermind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm now having exatly the same issue! I'm running the very lasted version of PS! Very Annoying 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact issue in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh, I'm having the same problem Comm D is not working to deselect on mac. Very annoying after years of use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is whats even crazier...

I changed the keyboard hotkey to CTRL+. and it works.   But if I try to change it back, it will let me change it to anything BUT CTRL+D.

Sounds like a disgruntled programmer wanted to keep that combo off-limits. 

Looks like ill be using CTRL+. from now on. 

CTRL.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, Re-setting preferences works to get rid of this plague, but it also throws all of your prefered settings out the window with the wash... Worth it to get rid of unwanted behavior. Thanks to all who have chimed in to help with this problem. Appreciate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have jut happened on the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines