• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Libraries Not retaining Indesign Advanced Type Settings When Editing

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a bug or setting we have missed but here is the issue.

We made a price point for some products and created them using super scripting for the cents part. We had changed the defaults in the advanced type preferences to a new one ( Size= 33.3%  Position= 45% ) which suits our style of work. We dragged the price group to CC libraries to share with the rest of the team.

The team can drag and use this asset just fine however we have noticed if we require to edit the asset directly from the CC libraries, the super scripting defaults causing the cents part etc to overflow inside their boxes. ( Size = 58%  Position=33.3% ). This is odd as the photoshop version works just fine.

This can be a bit frustrating as we then have to delete the old Asset in the library to replace it with the new one.

Is this a know issue or have we missed something?

Cheers

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never see this explicitly documented, however my knowledge of the way CC libraries work suggests the following:

I think that CC libraries can only store type attributes which are created in the InDesign Character, Paragraph, Character Style, or Paragraph Style panels. It doesn't store preferences which happened to be set when the type attributes are stored.

Editing the asset in the CC library opens up a temporary file. This file must only use the information in the library, not InDesign preferences settings.

I could be wrong, but that seems to match what you're finding.

CC libraries were also created to move assets between applications. If the same type were moved to Illustrator, it would use the attributes stored in the library, but would drop attributes which Illustrator didn't support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the price point text correspond to an existing paragraph or character style?

I suspect it doesn't, or if it does, it doesn't contain the custom settings you need to generate your custom price points.

Try this and see if it works well for you:

1) Pull out a library element and let it "blow up" your custom superscript settings.

2) Correct it the way you'd like it to be. Then click your text cursor into the price point and create a new paragraph style called Price Point. If you clicked into the price point text, it should have picked up the custom superscript settings you used. If not, enter them manually and save your new Price Point paragraph style.

3) Now drag the price point text back into the library to create a new library item. Name it Updated Price Point.

Now it's time to see how it works:

3) Create a new InDesign document, named Price Point Test.indd.

4) Go to the flyaway menu in the Paragraph Styles panel and select the Load Paragraph Styles... command from the flyaway menu.

5) Navigate your way to the file you had open, which contained your Price Point paragraph style, and import it into your Price Point Test.indd file.

6) Now drag your Updated Price Point item out of the library and place it in your new file.

I believe you'll be happy with the results.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you're trying to use Libraries for this.

Why not save your "Superscripting" as a Character Style and then apply it automatically as a Grep Nested Style in your Paragraph Style(s).

Instead of writing Grep code in the field for what to apply the Superscript Character Style to, simply type a ¢ sign in the field. Then whenever there's a ¢ sign in the text, the Superscript Character Style will be applied automatically. And as Randy mentioned above, you can Load Styles from InDesign document to InDesign document under the Options menu of the Paragraph Styles panel.

Here a video about Nested Styles. Grep Styles starts at about 9:15 into the video.

http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2013/08/indesigns-super-styles/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there.

I'm just following up ... did the suggestion to build a custom paragraph/character style for your price points work for you?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines