Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing text Acrobat Pro not working

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to edit a PDF in Adobe Acrobat X Pro and it is not working.

The original document is in Gotham police. Now, I did ensure that the Gotham police was installed in my Font Directory and therefore is accessible from Acrobat Pro. (If I start a text box, the Gotham police is available.) However, Acrobat Pro is still considering the text as an object/image.

I've tried restarting my computer, re-installing the Gotham font in my font directory, making sure my Acrobat is up to date... Nothing is working!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select individual letters/words in the text using the mouse? If not, it's not real text but a part of an image.

In that case you would need to edit it using an image editor (like Photoshop), or run Text Recognition on it and then it will be converted to "real" text, which you could edit directly in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I can't select anything, so Acrobat is really considering the text as an image...

Any way to change that within Acrobat Pro? I would just go back to Word to edit, but then I'd lose all my modifications since I used Acrobat Pro for it to become a modifiable registration form! Or any way to go in Word and change without losing all the added fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't be able to edit it in Word, either, as its an image... The only solution is to run Text Recognition (OCR), as was mentioned before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's the thing... I created the original Word document, therefore I know it is modifiable text... I just don't see why Acrobat Pro is not picking up on that!

And what is OCR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat X Pro select Tools>Recognize Text>In this file:

2017-08-03_10-32-36.png

If Recognize Text is not under Tools, then use the menu (indicated in the screen shot) to add it to the Tools pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Ok so now I can move my mouse through most of the text... But still cannot add letters or delete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Edit Text & Images tool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know, it is still not working! I can select text now, but not edit it and the option "Edit text" is selected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctaq  wrote

But that's the thing... I created the original Word document, therefore I know it is modifiable text... I just don't see why Acrobat Pro is not picking up on that!

How did you convert from Word to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File -> Export -> Create PDF/XPS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the document containing images of text, it's also possible that the text was "converted to outlines", which converts the glyphs of characters into vector graphics, which is no longer text, and can therefore not be edited. In this case, you would need to save the document as e.g. a 600dpi TIFF image (or a series of images), then import these images back into Acrobat and run OCR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines