• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can There be Different Alignment in Different Columns within Table Styles?

Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a large catalog in which there will be several hundred tables. I've created a table style that we will use throughout the catalog but all the inner cells seem to have to be aligned the same (either left, centered, or right). I can set different alignments for the outside columns of the tables but I'd like to be able to align (in order from left to right in the tables) the item descriptions to the left (the far left column is the years of application for each item), the part number to the right, and the prices to the right (and then the outside right column is the unit of measure). As far as I can tell, there's no way to designate different paragraph styles for each column in a table other than the outside columns, is there? In other words, do all the columns other than the outside columns have to use the same paragraph/cell style?

I hope this makes sense. We're using InDesign CC 2014 on Macs.

Thanks for any help you can give us,

Lloyd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

You can make different cell styles with different paragraph styles and apply them. if you hover your cursor on top of the top column, your cursor will change to an arrow, you can select and entire column this way and apply a style to it. as you add more rows, the columns within those rows will keep that style.

I hope this answers your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make different cell styles with different paragraph styles and apply them. if you hover your cursor on top of the top column, your cursor will change to an arrow, you can select and entire column this way and apply a style to it. as you add more rows, the columns within those rows will keep that style.

I hope this answers your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, JonathanArias, but I'm trying to automate it within a table style. We could go back after formatting all the tables with the table style but then we'd have to select the columns for every table and reset the alignment. With a few hundred tables that could take a long time. I might be able to find a script that would do the trick but no one has answered my last scripting question I posted. 

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you do find something please share it. i have been on the same boat and the way i shared is how i tackle that kind of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do all the columns other than the outside columns have to use the same paragraph/cell style?

It sounds to me like you are asking about nesting options for the cell and paragraph styles within a table style? Unfortunately you are limited to the options shown here, and the middle columns are all controlled by Body Rows.

InDesign CCss_024.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder,

Yeah, that's what I thought. Oh, well, you can't always get what you want. Thanks...

Lloyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we can't, darn it!

But when you have a brilliant idea that will make our lives easier, be sure to post a feature request:
Wishform - Adobe InDesign

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you show us a screenshot of the result you try to get? …

[and, more, a sample .idml file!]

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, my suggestion would not automate it for you to that extend, but that is how it can be done to get you where you want to be since that is not an option within the program.  Sometimes we have to roll up the sleeves and do things more manual. but that is part of the fun!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never found Table Styles to be very reliable. I suggest downloading a demo of WoodWing's Smart Styles and trying with this powerful plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never found Table Styles to be very reliable.

Really? I use them all the time, with no issues, and in very table-intensive documents. I'm very curious about that statement.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, Table Styles only work for very simple tables. Using Table Styles on a more complex table always fails. And yes, I've created and applied Cell Styles to these same tables, and included the Cell Style in the Table Style. Wish this problem weren't so, which is why I suggested WoodWing's Smart Styles plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest the exact same thing as you, Scott! I haven't played with that plug-in in ages, but I imagine it's only gotten better with age?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erica. Unfortunately, Smart Styles hasn't change much since its early days. It's still 99% percent the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, bummer! But it's still pretty robust...I just expected that it also made coffee and took out the trash by now. Hah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at that price, i hope so.. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's not cheap, but if you deal with tables (and other styling issues) all day, it pays for itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never understood why this plug-in is so expensive. I suppose it's pure supply and demand economics: it has no competition and, as you say, if you create a lot of tables the price is eventually justified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to add to this. if the tables automatically reflow, you would select a column once the way i describe and it will select every column on every page that table flows to. If you turn long tables over 30 pages, you select once, apply the cells style and you are good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate everyone's input but I bit the bullet and bought the Smart Styles plug-in. So far I've only found one quirk with it (for which I'm in contact with Woodwing) but it's worked exactly the way I was looking for...it holds virtually every aspect of the master table, including cell heights and widths, different alignments of separate inside columns, etc. I'm hoping it's money well spent.

Thanks again, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing. how much is the plug in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a little more than $250.00 US.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow it's gone up, then...I think it was $150 or $200 back in the day. But I hope it ends up being the solution you need to get your work done well and quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Last I remember it was $200, still a lot for a single plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines