• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I toggled something while using the healing tool, how do I un-toggle it?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing a normal map for an asset of mine, I was using the healing brush, and I toggled something by accident that I haven't been able to un-toggle. it's a white dot inside of the circled cursor, and whenever I alt + left-click to select the texture to apply, and try to apply it, nothing applies. In other words, it doesn't do anything. I switch to the Healing Spot tool, and instead of there being a dark tint when painting the area to heal, it's red. I'm sure this is some sort of tool thing I've toggled, and I would love to get some help, or insight on how to un-toggle it. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

For future reference, it is likely the Quick Mask which is toggled on and off using "q" on your keyboard. The red color represents "rubylith" film that in the old days was used for masking before Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I would start by resetting the tools. With any tool selected, right click the tool icon in the Options bar and Reset All Tools, Ok

• Photoshop CCss_018.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that before posting, thinking that would fix it, but the problem still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a screenshot? I couldn't figure it out with the description.

The healing brush requires that you set a sampling point so it should show whatever color you Alt/Opt clicked to sample, but I don't know what the other brush is doing. Did you try closing the original file and reopening? Or resetting preferences? (Save custom presets/brushes first.)

PS delete prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened a different image, and it seems to be working fine on that image. For some reason, the healing brush isn't working for this image alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with layers???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a "Reset Preferences On Quit" option, and no, I'm not working with layers. I'm thinking of just deleting the image and restarting since what I was doing was pretty easy to do again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Or save a copy and start over, in case you figure it out. What version of Photoshop are you on, by the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find where it tells me that, but what is odd, is that the tools have randomly started working again! Yes, I did try those suggestions, but they didn't seem to work. I apologize on my behalf that the help provided to me from you has not helped me, but I do appreciate the consideration to help me with my problem. I'm not sure why this happened to me, and how it resolved itself, and I'll go ahead and close this discussion, as I don't see a point in keeping it open if my problem has been resolved. Thanks again for helping, I appreciate it, and you have a wonderful day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future reference, it is likely the Quick Mask which is toggled on and off using "q" on your keyboard. The red color represents "rubylith" film that in the old days was used for masking before Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you sir! That is exactly what it was!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines