Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TRANSPARENT BACKGROUND NOT WORKING IN EPS FILE

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, 

I have a question regarding the transparent background of eps file, the original file in photoshop CS6, I have done the path and masking, when I save as EPS file, the background is not transparent, and i link the file into Ai and Id, the background still not transparent, I tried some of the technique from the forum like change into tiff 8 bit, but still not working.

The file is use for printing purpose.

Can anyone tell me what to do??

Thank you,
Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The right way to export your EPS or Tiff file is first you create a path, save the path and then convert this path into a clipping path, all this is done in the paths panel when you export you r file other applications recognize the clipping path.

Another thing you can do is to save your file as a PSD with a transparent background with masks in case you make a mask. place this file in Illustrator or InDesign and you will have the transparency you need, this work if you are sending a PDF to the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you J Barrigon,

I got another question,

My Indesign file is link with psd file, when export and open in Ai, the psd file is break into pieces, I tried to embed link or do the setting in link option, the images still break.

Can I know where am I wrong in the Indesign file.

Thank you,

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaixuan,

This sounds like the image is being flattened when exported. You could perhaps export to PDF without flattening, and then open in illustrator.

Im curious as to why you placing a PSD in inDesign then exporting for Illustrator, could you please provide an explanation of what you are trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy_Baz,

Because the printing supplier doesn't use indesign file to print as they don't use indesign file to print, so when we got the indesign file we have to export the indesign file into eps format so we can do the amendment in Ai.

The problem is when i do the export from indesign, the eps come out in Ai file flattened, the image break into pieces, tried few option in export eps file but still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a very high risk workflow, based on using tools in a way they are not designed to work at all. Flattening is certain. If images breaking up is the worst thing, be happy - and check every detail and word of the design to be sure it is undamaged.

In the usual workflow the task is finished in InDesign and you send a final PDF; no further editing. If you cannot change printer and they require to edit in Illustrator, perhaps go into their world and work in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using PDF instead of eps sounds like the most logical answer here.

If you printer can accept EPS files ok, then they shouldnt have a problem with PDF either...PDF's made from indesign will also open well in illustrator. (Essentially both EPS and PDF are postscript files at heart).

From inDesign Export using the PDF 1.5 compatibility setting or above will stop the PDF from flattening items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of interest, what kind of printing is this for? Their insistence on EPS makes me suspect that either they need pure vectors (in which case you may well have to start from scratch), or they're so woefully ill-equipped that you should consider using a different company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you every one, but the answers you guys provided is not the correct answer.

1st of all, yes, I can save it into pdf but for for safety purpose, I better save it into Ai and link it with psd as some of the supplier require Ai file, so I cannot direct send file to the supplier in pdf, I must have Ai file for them.

I attached some image for further explain what problem that i am encountering20631450_10154803970437322_1924761172_n.jpg

at the image above, the eps file was opened in Ai, and psd file (the dog) flattened and brake into pieces (this is my working Mac)

but when I go back and try another file, the image is fine and can re-link the psd file without dragging the file like image below20706213_10154807331047322_1988024144_o.jpg

I wonder what's going on, or is the setting problems??

can anyone tell me the answer please.

Thank you very much,

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason you are getting the image in pieces is that flattener transparency is active. Wich flattener setting you are applying when converting to EPS ??. You should explore the possibility to export as PDF and open the PDF in AI I'm sure you will have a good result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you J Barrigon,

I tried to turn off the flattener setting in Edit -- Transparency Flattener Preset, but seems like it's not working, can you please guide me the steps please.

Thank you,

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the transparency flattener preset panel create a new preset and put the raster/vector balance to 100, try exporting with this new preset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't turn the Transparency Flattener off if you're exporting to EPS. EPS doesn't support transparency, so any transparency will always be flattened, and images will be broken into pieces. That's an unavoidable restriction of the format your printer is asking for.

Can you explain why you won't export to PDF and open that in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines