• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

False Advertising [Adobe's advertising should make clear that Lightroom only runs on 64 bit computers]

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe advertising states:

Every photo. Every edit. Everywhere.

Easily sync your image collections between Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC on your desktop and Lightroom mobile on your smartphone or tablet. Every edit you make will instantly appear across all your devices.

This is NOT true. I recently signed up for the Photography plan with the hopes of syncing my desktop with my Android tablet. My desktop is running windows 10 (32bit). If you plan on syncing to a desktop it must be 64bit.

There "Everywhere" is "only where" there are 64bit desktops. This requirement should be more prominently displayed before folks sign on the dotted line.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Hi,

In order to sync desktop to mobile one must use LR 6 or a similar previous version. As you stated LR 6 (and the previous similar version) require a 64 bit OS.

Perhaps the subject of this thread and my initial complaint is unclear. In order to sync a Windows desktop running LR to a mobile device one must use LR 6. In order to run LR 6 one must have a 64 bit OS. Nowhere in adobe’s advertising raving about desktop <> mobile syncing does it mention that a 64 bit OS is required.

They state in ad

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me that before anyone jumps into a whole new software program they would want to check the system requirements to make sure their computer met the specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do when it comes to available memory and free hard drive space as I'm sure most folks do (or should do). But how often have you honestly checked bit compatibility? Especially where even in new desktops 32 bit is still more common. Perhaps the advertising should say "Every edit you make will instantly appear across all your devices  and add "(64 bit OS required)."

Lightroom and Photoshop both run beautifully on my desktop. I can do it the hard way and sync the tablet to Adobe Web and then use a browser on my PC to log into the web and D/L the changes. I think when Adobe brags about mobile syncing they should make more of an effort up front (almost a disclaimer) that the user will need a 64 bit Desktop OS.

John O'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been very upfront about LR 6 being 64-bit only.

Not sure how you missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

They have not been upfront in their advertising for mobile – desktop syncing. I’m not saying they are doing anything intentionally. But they do omit in their any photo, anytime, anywhere, on any device advertising that a Windows PC must be running 64 bit windows or you can’t sync. There are many systems on the market old and new that are not 64bit.

Therefore, mobile syncing is not anywhere, anytime, any device syncing.

John O’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 64-bit requirement is for LR 6. There is no 32-bit version.

This has nothing to do with desktop-to-mobile syncing specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In order to sync desktop to mobile one must use LR 6 or a similar previous version. As you stated LR 6 (and the previous similar version) require a 64 bit OS.

Perhaps the subject of this thread and my initial complaint is unclear. In order to sync a Windows desktop running LR to a mobile device one must use LR 6. In order to run LR 6 one must have a 64 bit OS. Nowhere in adobe’s advertising raving about desktop <> mobile syncing does it mention that a 64 bit OS is required.

They state in advertising:

Add your photos to Lightroom and get set up to enjoy your photography anywhere, on all your devices.

In one of the tutorials: "Sync with Lightroom on mobile" is checked (so your photos will be available on all your devices)

These statements are simply not true. My “device” is a Windows 32 bit PC. The LR I am offered by the installer will not mobile sync.

That’s all I was saying.

John O’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all advertising, the company will tell you everything that CAN be done if one purchases every option and has everything that is available. In what you quoted, you must have misunderstood something because Lightroom 6 CANNOT connect with Lightroom Mobile. Unfortunately, you didn't take the time to fully understand what you were purchasing, nor did you take the time to see if your computer met the spec requirements to run the program. Lightroom CAN connect with Lightroom Mobile IF you subscribe to the Creative Cloud which gives you access to all the features Lightroom has to offer. Lightroom 6 doesn't have all of those features. You are not the only one who has not fully understood this. But it doesn't excuse you from not taking the time to understand what it is that you are purchasing, and ensuring that it will operate properly on your computer. After all, it's your money and your computer. A little research on your part can save a lot of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I do have CC. I did check memory and available HD space. Everything works fine except mobile sync due to Win 32 bit. So what you are saying is that when Adobe states “Everything / On Every Device” they are not telling the truth or they are omitting some pretty important information putting it in some obscure location in fine print.

I’m not totally down and out. The mobiles can sync to CC. I can reach CC from the pc and transfer them. I just don’t have the “automagically happens” feature.

This conversation is getting old and wasting too much of our time… I wanted to blow off steam, I did, I’m done. I’ve got tons of shots to edit and print before Monday.

Regards,

John O’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you check the Actual version number, Help > Either Sys Info or About Adobe PS LR you will find you are running 5.7.1. That is the last version that will work with a 32 bit OS.

LR CC 2015 is currently at the .(DOT)12 release (LR CC 2015.12).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ. IMHO most all new computers sold today have the 64 bit version of the OS installed. In fact that is all OS X is. OS X doesn't come in a 32 bit version.

As for Window I personally don't know of any manufacture that is installing the 32 bit version of any Windows version.

32 bit Windows can't even use 4 GB of RAM (IIRC it tops out using a little over 3 GBs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are obviously a mac user. Your correct about your lack of pc knowledge. I am not going to engage in a long thread about the pros and cons of each platform that's not what the forums are for. If you peruse best buy, Microcenter,  Walmart,  Amazon , etc.  You will see many 32 bit PCs for sale. Macs have their place. Great for any kind of graphic application. My next machine for photography use may be a mac perhaps a laptop for portability. Right now both of my desktops are PCs because I also Need to run business applications that are not available for macs.

Regards,

John O'Neill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I'm a Windows user. Haven't used a Mac in 4.5 years and even when I owned a Mac I also had Windows systems, desktop and notebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines