Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link precomp parameter to main comp slider/checkbox

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

I'd like to know if it's possible to link a parameter in a precomp to a slider/checkbox, depending on the Precomp layer in the Main Comp.

Here's the point: I have a Precomp with a simple animation in it. This Precomp is duplicated in my MainComp several times. I would like to make visible or not (with opacity) a layer in my Precomp just with a slider/checkbox on each Precomp layer in MainComp.

This is just to keep the animation identical while changing colors and improve my workflow. Precomp is duplicated a loooooot of times.

I know I can link it to Layer name or index, but this isn't the solution in my case.

Is there something like ".parent", for example?

(I hope i've been clear. It's a bit difficult to explain while English is not my mother tongue.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to make visible or not (with opacity) a layer in my Precomp just with a slider/checkbox on each Precomp layer in MainComp.

set a checkbox control in a null - this will be the layer that has the effect that controls the toggle on/off for this layer's opacity.

put it in your main comp. call it "Main_Comp" for example. now set this expression to the layer's opacity:

t = comp("Main_Comp").layer("Null 1").effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox");

if (t == 1) 100 else 0;

note: you can change the main comp name, it won't break the expression.

001.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I believe my explanations weren't clear.

So here is my precomp content:

precompContent.JPG

My MainComp content (duplicated precomp):

compContent.JPG

And my ideal solution, with these checkbox effects on each MainComp layer:

chackboxes.JPG

I don't even know if it's possible. Currently, I've made 3 precomps, one for each color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I would like to be able to change color of each layer, the checkbox effects would be on each layer.

I don't want them to be all the same color. (Otherwise, I obviously knew your method.):

compContent-withEffects.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about this - use time remapping rig with an expression to link to each frame? same thing like you do with lip sync rigging

058.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that could be a solution, exept that there is an animation in my PreComp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StevenM GBL,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't solved this problem. But I don't even know if it was possible. It was to improve my workflow. Instead, I just duplicated my Precomp as many times I had colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just trying to do this exact same thing.  I was hoping there was some kind of Effect or Expression that would work.

It would be a great way to keep projects cleaner and it would be a more efficient workflow to only have to change the animation in that single precomp.

Anyway, I'll be doing the same thing (duplicating precomps for each unique layer i need).  But this seems like it'd be a great future feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Learn how to lock Effects Control Pannels, drag timelines around so you can see more than one, and enable second views. Pointing to a reference layer in another comp is extremely easy if you just arrange your workspace properly. The pickwhip works across comps with no problem.

Screenshot_2019-02-04 16.59.24_eFwSaT.png

This is a typical layout for working with nested comps (pre-comps). I'm just dragging the pickwhip from the nested comp layer to the effects control slider in the main comp. I could either drag directly to the locked Effects Control Panel or as shown here, directly to the effect revealed in the timeline. There is nothing to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines