• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

website pdf links not working

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why I can't download pdf's from website links?t was working, then about a week ago, it stopped working. I can start the download, but it times out right at the end. I am using Acrobat XI. The only time I can't open a pdf, if it is a website link, a pdf file opens fine, just a link to a pdf. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which software are you using to create the web site?

My guess without more to go on is that a) the link paths are broken or b) the code contains critical errors.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not creating websites. I am visiting various State websites to download applications or forms, the links allow you start the download, but they time out before complete. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timing out is usually indicative of a poor internet connection or a non-responsive web site.

Try using a different browser or web device.  Maybe try with a different internet connection -- i.e. your local public library or a cyber cafe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 45 Mbps download speed for cable internet. I have tried, IE, Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera. I am not having trouble downloading any other forms, but pdf's. No lag time or time outs, just when I download pdf's. They reach near completion then timeout.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the free Reader, or a paid version of Acrobat?

Post the name of the program you are using so a Moderator may move this to the forum that is specific to what you use, where you may find other users with the same problem... and a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat XI we purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so I understand your workflow.

a) You're clicking/tapping a PDF link in your browser.

b)  The PDF should download to your default Downloads folder but it isn't.

Is that correct?

If not, please describe your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are correct. I have redirected the downloads to another folder. I was thinking maybe the "download" folder might be the issue, but it was not. The download appears as a temp file, but when it does not complete, the temp file goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance your Firewall or Anti-virus software is interrupting the download?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have thought of that as well.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thought.  Did you try Right-Click on link and select SaveAs or Save Target As?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The only way I can get it to open, is copy the hyperlink, email it to my phone, open the link, then email the document back to my computer. It has to be something blocking it on my network side, but it just blocks pdf's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open two pdf hyperlinks today, then it stopped working again.....I have no idea at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a little off topic but I'll share it with you just the same.

My husband woke me out of a sound sleep at 11:30 last night to fix his web site because he said the download links were "not working." 

"Huh?" I asked incoherently. "Which web site?  Which downloads?  Where am I?"

It turns out the links worked perfectly for me.   Then I remembered that my husband uses script-blocking add-ons in his browsers.  I keep telling him to get rid of those wretched script blockers but he persists in using them anyway.   When he disabled the add-ons, everything worked as expected.

You might want to reset your browser settings to default values.  Clear your Cache memory.  And disable all add-ons.  Restart your browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea​

Nancy, that is wild. Glad you got his working. I had disabled the add-ons, reset everything to the default, cleared the cache....still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

My husband woke me out of a sound sleep at 11:30 last night to fix his web site because he said the download links were "not working."

LOL, Nancy—my family knows better than to wake me up when I am hibernating/sleeping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a Windows or Mac computer? Can you post a screen shot of the 'Save Download to dialog'? Is your computer on all the time? Have you restarted it? How much available storage do you have on your internal drive? What happens if you try to save to an external thumb drive or usb stick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, I have restarted it multiple times. I have tons of drive space free. I tried to save to external drive, still does not work.

From here, it fails every time.@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines