Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDESIGN FILE EXPORT TO EPS, PSD FILE BREAK WHEN OPEN IN AI

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

My Indesign file is link with psd file, when export and open in Ai, the psd file is break into pieces, I tried to embed link or do the setting in link option, the images still break.

Can I know where am I wrong in the Indesign file.

Thank you,

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you can't get a flawless editable conversion from InDesign to Illustrator, I'd question why you're doing it.

But if you must, then try exporting the InDesign document as PDF, with all compression and downsampling turned off, and try opening that in Illustrator. Don't expect text etc to be editable in the way it was in InDesign, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because EPS does not support transparency, and instead of preserving the image, it will disect the image into pieces where it interacted with any transparency, or effect, like drop shadows, gradient transparency and any other effect.

EPS does not support transparency and flattens the entire file. That's why it's appearing to break up.

EXPORT to PDFX4a and open that in Illustrator.

However - I question your entire workflow - why just create the entire thing in Illustrator if you need it in that programme?

Best to recreate the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to open PDF into Illustrator is a totally broken workflow, even if you export to PDF-X4. Illustrator was never intended as a general PDF editor.

Simple answer: Recreate the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'd surely agree that moving a composed page from InDesign to Illustrator via export from InDesign doesn't seem to make sense, I would contend that:

Trying to open PDF into Illustrator is a totally broken workflow

...might be a bit of an exaggeration.

Yes, PDF as a format is vastly versatile; a file—particularly one of unknown or mixed origins—could contain any number of items that will trip, trick, or choke Illustrator, if not the user too. So here we repeatedly regurgitate the dumbed-down rule-of-thumb "Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor." Not untrue of course, but in the hands of careful, capable problem solvers, tools like the PDF file format and Illustrator's ability to read it can be extremely useful.

Example: In one of my routine workflows, I require the ability to generate 2D vector-based line drawings from 3D models. If you've ever delved into such things, like me you've undoubtedly found there are frustratingly few avenues to export of vector data from most or all 3D modeling apps, which tend to be much more "rendering" (raster image) oriented in terms of output. So when I came across a method by which I could print vectors to PDF from a particular 3D model viewing app and get a faithful result every time when opening it in Illustrator, should I have refused to adopt it on principle? This was a breakthrough at my desk; the ability to orient the model, or any part(s) of it, as needed, with realistic perspective, and export to Illustrator reliably and at-will increased the speed, realism, and marketability of my technical work output immeasurably. Without opening PDF into Illustrator, my workflow would be totally broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comparing a “no other way to accomplish it” workflow to moving InDesign art to Illustrator is a bit of a stretch, too.

If you need Illy artwork, work in Illy. But the fact is that there should be no reason whatsoever for anyone to need Illy artwork for production purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine  wrote

Comparing a “no other way to accomplish it” workflow to moving InDesign art to Illustrator is a bit of a stretch, too.

True. As such, I wasn't offering up the two scenarios as comparable. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the written word. Sometimes a bit difficult to interpret intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob - sometimes Sign makers require Illustrator outwork, as their machines only accept output from Illustrator/CAD like programmes. Or they need to manipulate the artwork for best results.

Other than that - I agree with you.

I'm not a fan of opening PDFs in Illustrator - and I would be completely against it for someone who is unaware of issues pertaining to it.

However, if you're a skilled prepress operator, like myself and many others here - sometimes you just have to!

I know it's wrong - but deadlines are deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Eugene+Tyson  wrote

Bob - sometimes Sign makers require Illustrator outwork, as their machines only accept output from Illustrator/CAD like programmes. Or they need to manipulate the artwork for best results.

Judging by the OP's cross-post in the Photoshop forum, I suspect this is the case. The printer probably wants pure vectors, making this whole Photoshop-InDesign-Illustrator dance irrelevant once their file gets rejected again and they finally realise they have to start from scratch in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If that were the case I would have expected CorelDRAW as the requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never use EPS anymore, if you can help it.

I come to bury EPS, not praise it.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines