• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only "some" page numbers export to PDF?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very puzzled. I have a 46 page document made in InDesign CS4. Page numbers are on a master page and they all show up correctly within InDesign. Once I export to PDF, however...I get pages with correct numbering 1-6...then after that only even pages. So 7, 9, 11, 13, etc are all without a page number showing up but the even pages have their number showing up. I've tried everything I can think of: make sure the object is arranged at the front, change font color, change location on the page...even delete page numbers and insert new page numbers. The result is the same every time.

What is odd is that when you view the PDF exported document, you can use the mouse to "highlight" where the page number should be...copy, and paste it into a text editor. The page number exists and is correct...but it appears to be "hidden."

I can't figure out why one odd page number (page 5) would correctly show up but the rest do not.

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try putting all of your auto page numbers on a separate layer on the master page and make that layer the top layer of the document and see if that solves your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i Think this is the best Way to find the Problem. There is an option in the layer panel (i'm not sure of my translation) "Show all" or "Hide all" or something like that (French inside )

I thons the best to do is redoing an another master page with page Number and apply it. And i Think the problem gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add to my post above that you should also check that the page numbers that are not showing up are still controlled by the master page. Whether they are or not make sure that they are also on the top layer that you are creating for page numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried putting the page numbers on a new top layer and there is no change in the output. I cannot understand for the life of me why odd-numbered "page 5" shows properly while all other odd page numbers are hidden. All pages correspond to the same master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you making a print pdf or is it an interactive one. If it is an interactive one have you used any interactive elements—such as a button—on the pages in question. That was my theory in suggesting putting the numbers on a separate top layer. Interactive elements will always "blot out" non-interactive elements that are on the same layer or below so they need to be put on a separate layer above. My suggestion in my second post is to make absolutely sure that the numbers on the pages that are not printing are definitely by themselves on the top layer because sometimes it is easy to forget that we've detached something from a master for whatever reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just producing a press-quality PDF for printing. Nothing interactive, no form buttons or anything like that.

I've made sure the page numbers are on the top layer. I decided to send the InDesign package to the printing company which is also a design house and they are InDesign experts. I've asked them to find and correct the problem, and let me know what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

46 pages is an odd number for a publication, shouldn't that be 48?

Instead of choosing Press Quality for your PDF, you'd probably be better choosing PDF/X-4.

InDesign CS3 is quite an old version, as a matter of interest what OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's CS4 - still old, but I'm not interested in a subscription. Its running on OSX 10.9 Mavericks.

This publication is a product catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see on your InDesign page 7 when overprint preview is on?

I can replicate your issue when a few odd conditions are met; (I'm using InDesign CS6)

1. The page number on the master page has the transparency effect Screen applied.

2. You are viewing InDesign with the display performance set to- Fast Display*.

3. There is a white box on page 7 below the page number.

I assume the missing page numbers are not on a black background with the page number set to overprint.

*Edit, the Fast Display option can be applied to the object only (the page number on the master page), and overprint preview will not show the missing page number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the overprint preview on, all the odd pages continue to show correctly in InDesign but not as an exported PDF. No transparency effects are applied; I checked. I'm using typical display but this still wouldn't effect a PDF output. There is no white box. Basically, the pages numbers are in white against an orange box. I tried moving the page number right into the main page area and changing font color, but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try exporting your InDesign file to IDML, then opening the IDML file and saving it to a new file? Does the problem persist?

Can you make a stripped down version of the file, package, Zip and upload it, then post a link so we can have a look?

Edit: Are you using Acrobat or Reader to check your PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines