• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating a Comp and Altering It

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a comp scene.  Need to use that same comp scene in several moments throughout my animation.  But I want to adjust elements within, such as skies, landscapes in a reveal, but keeping most of the main elements within.  Though its easy enough to duplicate, but the one main comp remains, and if I alter that, it changes them all.  How can I do this without changing, altering the original comp?  Copy and past each element (65 or more) into a brand new comp seems the only logical route if possible - and alter from there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

You can duplicate the nested comp in question in the project window -- not in the main comp.  Then you have identical and independent comps which you can modify.  It's wise to give these duplicates logical & easily-identifiable names.

Then you can duplicate the original nested comp in the main comp, and use the replace footage command to put in the modified comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can duplicate the nested comp in question in the project window -- not in the main comp.  Then you have identical and independent comps which you can modify.  It's wise to give these duplicates logical & easily-identifiable names.

Then you can duplicate the original nested comp in the main comp, and use the replace footage command to put in the modified comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dave says.

If you need to do this frequently and often have a complex hierarchy -  pre-comps within pre-comps... you might also want to check out:

True Comp Duplicator - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave or Mike - could either of you link me to a decent nesting comp tut?  Sorry to ask - and I've been away for some time... and as I am getting back to this portion, the tut vids I watch confuse me.  I am using only the project window but my work still changes in original. i used to know how to do this... I'm slipping deep into forgetfulness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines