• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save an .aep file as a template so others can use it and edit easily?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.png1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just give people the project file and any associated footage files you used?  It accomplishes the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that would work but what if I had a footage in there and I could let them use their own footage, how do I do that? Do I delete that footage in my pc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you happen to have effects applied to the video layer to be replaced you can copy-paste them to a solid.  Then you can annotate the layer with, "REPLACE THIS WITH VIDEO".... or words to that effect.  Boom. Done. Easy-peasy.  You don't have to include the video file, thus reducing file size immeasurably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, once you have your project set up the way you want it you can duplicate the file and change the extension from .aep to .aet

doing that will make it so that every time someone opens it it opens as an unsaved project. it'll force the user to save a new version and protect the template (.aet) file from being saved over accidentally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i duplicate the file? In the program or on the pc? And how do I change the extension from .aep to .aet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also when saved to my pc, the Adobe After Effects Project (.aep) is 636 KB (651,926 bytes), how do I shrink it down? I Im not looking to export anything, I just want to save the project as a smaller size, is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You duplicate the file on your PC.  Just right click on the file and select Duplicate.

Just change the file name and extension from an explorer window, like you would when you change or edit any other file name.

I don't understand why you need to reduce the file of a 636Kb file, as it's quite tiny, but you can use a compression container like Zip to distribute it.  This will, of course, mean that the user at the other end has to then unzip it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many # of kbs would be considered a large/small file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol im a noob as you can tell, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's entirely subjective, but most email portals, for example, are fine with 5Mb (5000Kb) files.  Many can cope with much higher.  Why do you need the file to be so small?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi charlottec,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi charlottec,

First and foremost, I would recommend to collect all the files from the project, if you intend to send it over to your friends. If you don't collect the files, AE will not find the project files once you move the location of the project. Go to File-Collect Files or File-Dependencies-Collect Files in the newer versions o AE

Here's a more detailed explanation:

https://bluefx.net/after-effects-templates/collect-missing-files-how-to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines