• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Numbering a Document That Uses Multiple Masters?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling with numbering pages.  I'd like to number document pages 2-312 as 1,2,3,4...

I've tried creating a master just for my page numbers (then I went to Type, Insert Special Character, Markers, Current page number.  No problems there).  Then I applied that "page number master" to my document.

The problem is it overwrites the content of my document.  I've built my document with 5 different masters applied in various places.

I also tried dropping this "page number master" into a separate layer.  It still overwrites the masters on my original pages.  It doesn't matter whether I drag the new layer to the bottom or the top of the stack.  It still affects my pages - i.e. wipes them out and just shows a page number at the bottom.  Original content gone.

Am I doing this right?  How can I smoothly number pages that already use a master?

Thanks you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

I've tried creating a master just for my page numbers (then I went to Type, Insert Special Character, Markers, Current page number.  No problems there).  Then I applied that "page number master" to my document.

Rather than applying your new page number master to the pages, set it as the base for your other masters via Master Page Options (screen capture #2 in my previous post). That should apply the page numbers to the existing masters and pages. You might have to put the page numbers on the docu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the automatic page number on each of your Master pages - it will apply the correct number to each page according to its position in the document.

Where your plan will run into trouble is with trying to make the 2nd document page into page 1. In order to use automatic numbering, page 1 has to be a right-hand page. You could have the current page 3 become page one, and have the first two be i and ii. This sort of renumbering is available through Numbering and Section Options.

Screenshot 2017-08-04 13.44.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, one could defy standard numbering conventions and disable Allow Document Page to Shuffle and make 1 a left hand page, but I don't think it's a good idea. Word through SJRiegel's correct answer above—that's the way to go. If you have any questions, just ask.

InDesign CCss_013.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried creating a master just for my page numbers (then I went to Type, Insert Special Character, Markers, Current page number.  No problems there).  Then I applied that "page number master" to my document.....The problem is it overwrites the content of my document.

Normally you would create a base master with the document page numbers then base other masters on your folio master, but with the document already setup you might have to add page numbers to all of your masters positioned in the same place.

So here I have a master I named A-Folios and all it has is the margins and page numbers:

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.54.39 PM.png

Then a B-Master that is based on the A-Folio Master. The 2 masters share the page numbers and I've added new content to the B-Master

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.58.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.59.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than applying your new page number master to the pages, set it as the base for your other masters via Master Page Options (screen capture #2 in my previous post). That should apply the page numbers to the existing masters and pages. You might have to put the page numbers on the document's top layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's exactly how I was hoping it would work.  This populated all pages, both those based on a Master and pages that were built from scratch.  And all numbers are in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another quick question if you don't mind - How do I hide the page number on just a select few pages? 

For example on the copyright page I'd like it to be tabulated in the series numbers, but I want the number itself to be hidden on the page. 

Thank you again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can override the page number and delete it or apply the None master, which is what I'm doing on the absolute pages 1&2 in my example. You can also override the numbers on the master pages that are based on your folio master. So in my example I might want the numbers to be white on the b-master:

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 3.03.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines