Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge has issues

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello InDesign Community.

I've recently started using Data Merge function for InDesign and it's been working wonderfully, up until now. I'm not sure what's causing this, but the data is being not-merged or merged in the wrong places. It appears like the csv might be corrupted, however, I've spent hours troubleshooting the issue, including rebuilding the template, recreating the csv files, basically anything and everything. I'm starting to believe it's a glitch in the program.

Please advise! I have files I can send over if required further clarification.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

I don't think your csv is corrupt, but I do think there is a problem with how it is built.

Any paragraph returns within a cell will cause InDesign to see the start of new Record.

The places where you have listings like

94 pts Wine Advocate

90 pts Wine Enthusiast

90 puts Wine Spectator

with a return after each within the same cell, it throws the whole thing off. Put some kind of placeholder symbol in the spreadsheet to indicate the returns, and then do find-and-replace to get the returns into the InD

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think your csv is corrupt, but I do think there is a problem with how it is built.

Any paragraph returns within a cell will cause InDesign to see the start of new Record.

The places where you have listings like

94 pts Wine Advocate

90 pts Wine Enthusiast

90 puts Wine Spectator

with a return after each within the same cell, it throws the whole thing off. Put some kind of placeholder symbol in the spreadsheet to indicate the returns, and then do find-and-replace to get the returns into the InDesign document later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that was the case.  The "94 pts Wine Advocate" portion is its own data ( <<Proscore>> ) and is only separated by a space in the InDesign template. In the csv, there are no paragraph returns within any of the cells. I'm mainly concerned with the consistency of the information within the cells being inserted or replacing other data placeholders. It's strange because I've been duplicating the same csv and switching around the information for the last 5 projects and they've all been fine, except for this current one. If anyone has ANY direction on what I should do, please please help! 

I'm starting to wonder, is it a cache or a memory related issue?

Here is the csv in word form.

5.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After further investigation, SJRiegel You are absolutely correct. The invisible Carriage Returns are near impossible to spot. A bit of advice, when using Google Sheets, you can:

Ctrl F

... (for more options)

search for "\r\n|\n|\r"

Search using Reg expressions

Replace with whatever.

YT link below on how it's done.

Remove Line Breaks in Google Spreadsheet - YouTube

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines