• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Superwhite values in 32bpc are clipping to odd colors. Can I fix this?

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been animating some lightning bolts in a fashion similar to the latest Video Copilot tutorial.  When my layers have lightning that intersects with the screen or add composite modes in 32bpc, the intersection often clips and produces a red or orange color instead of remaining white.  Have any of you experienced this and do you know a way to keep the bolts white?  I've noticed this with lens flares too.  I've included an example from my current project so you can see what I'm talking about in the upper left quadrant.

rFkCFWg.jpg

I'm working in a 32bpc workspace with no color profile selected.  I also did not check "linearize" in the 32bpc options.  I'm working off AE CC 2017 on Mac OSX version 10.10.5.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

i've fixed stuff like this before by sandwiching the effect <levels> set to clip 32bpc placed just before the 8 bpc effects.

also, compander effect is useful for some hdr effects as well with the Compress-Expand Dynamic Range animation preset.

In this way, you can use tools that don’t support HDR color, such as 8-bpc and 16-bit effects.

Apply Utility effects in After Effects

After Effects color basics

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reproduce your issue but couldn't.  Which plugins are you using in addition to Advanced Lightning to generate glow etc?

Some troubleshooting points:

In Project Settings, switch to Software Rendering to eliminate errors that may be occurring on the GPU side.

If you switch to 8bpc or 16bpc, rather than 32bpc, does the error still occur?  What if you stay in 32bpc but add a colour profile?  What if you then linearise?

Note that Advanced Lightning is an 8bpc effect, and heed the warning from Adobe:

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 10.38.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I'm using to make my lightning effects.  My project settings are set to software rendering.  The error goes away at 8 or 16bpc.  I've toggled through several color profiles and toggled linear on and off, the clipping artifact still remains.  If you're looking to replicate what I'm getting, it's worth stressing that each bolt of lightning is on its own separate layer and the layers are all set to screen.

139bTPZ.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, using your same effects stack I was able to replicate the issue.  It appears to be some kind of mathematical error in the 32bpc math involved.  If you turn off the Glow and Exposure effects it disappears, so some combination of their actions and the Screen mode seem to create the error.

Workaround:  change your blend mode to Add rather then Screen.  You'll get slightly "hotter" blends, but the error doesn't seem to occur in this mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've fixed stuff like this before by sandwiching the effect <levels> set to clip 32bpc placed just before the 8 bpc effects.

also, compander effect is useful for some hdr effects as well with the Compress-Expand Dynamic Range animation preset.

In this way, you can use tools that don’t support HDR color, such as 8-bpc and 16-bit effects.

Apply Utility effects in After Effects

After Effects color basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zogeta,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.  Just tried Chris and Andrew's methods and they both worked.  Chris's worked better since it preserved the blending intensity I had  set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines