Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context Sensitive Help Not Functional

Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird problem - here's the scenario. I produce a localized version of a Help system developed by our sister company. The techwriter there sends me new topics, sometimes her whole project, and then I insert anything new into my project, rather than working with hers. The two projects are totally separate. She also sends me her .ali and .h files so that I can create map ID entries for each topic (typically screen descriptions) that require them.

So here's the problem. Context sensitive help topics are not opening from my compiled (.chm) Help. Click on Help, nothing happens. The screen description topic is available; you can find it via Search. I verified that the entry was still in the .ali and .h files for the project.

Just for giggles, swapped out my Help file from the program directory, and replaced it with the one from our sister company. Sure enough, the Help topics I expected to see do indeed pop up from the Help button.

So the sister company's Help works. Mine doesn't. But my .ali and .h files are fine - the entries are in there, with the correct map ID number and .htm file reference.

Any ideas? Are there any other project files this information is stored in?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you turn the RH BugHunter on, does that give any clue as to what is going on? Also it may be worth checking that the project's HHP file has all the relevant files in the [MAP] section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum. Thanks for your suggestions. I enabled Bug Hunter, and exercised the Help buttons on a few of the forms that have been an issue. The output is below. You'll see that I also clicked on a few topics that are working fine, to get a comparison in BugHunter.

I checked the HHP file for the two topics in question, and they are listed, with a correct path entry, all looks fine.

Obviously, from this BugHunter output, something is wrong. Just not sure what to do next.

*******************************************************************************************************************************

BugHunter is currently disabled. To enable, select the Tools menu, then select Enable BugHunter.

BugHunter Enabled...

CHM File Name: C:\Program Files\BudgetSense\accounting.chm
Topic: Payroll\ScreenDescriptions\Deductions_Screen.htm
Command: HH_HELP_CONTEXT
Map Number: 266
Result: Topic launched.

Result: Cannot find 1122 in C:\Program Files\BudgetSense\accounting.chm

Result: Cannot find 1123 in C:\Program Files\BudgetSense\accounting.chm

Topic: Payroll\ScreenDescriptions\Make_ACH_File_Screen.htm
Map Number: 409

Topic: Payroll\ScreenDescriptions\Payroll_Voucher_Processing_Grid.htm
Map Number: 410

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that 1122 and 1123 are the mapids against the affected topics. Also did you import the .h files and .ali files or add the relevant entries to yours. I'm wondering whether if you imported them that the entries refer to a path that you are not using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are correct - 1122 and 1123 are attached to topics that don't pop up as they should from the Help button on the related form.

My add entries manually, based on the changes I find in the other project. I don't import anything directly.

The path identified in the BugHunter Output does exist, and the topics in question reside there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Weird! I have to admit to being a little stumped . It may be worth checking your project's rhmapfile.apj isn't referring to a map file it shouldn't. It may also be worth checking the [ALIAS] section on your project's HHP file as I didn't suggest that earlier.

If they look OK, could you open the sister company's proejct, remove the mapid references from the topics, reimport them into your project and re-add the mapids. I'm homeward bound now - it's dark and dismal outside and my brian hurts - but I'll logon later to see if this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp