Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for other encodings?

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know the latest version of RoboHelp supports Unicode (UTF-8) which is great. However, for one of our online help systems we need support for other encoding formats specifically for Asian language support. Namely GB-2312, Big-5, Shift_JIS (for S. Chinese, T. Chinese, and Japanese). Does RoboHelp support these specific encodings within WebHelp?

I've been poking around the forums (and the Internet) to try to get a clear answer on this. One thing I read was rather interesting and I'm also wondering if there is any merit to it:

quote:

We've found, for example, that the HTML pages displayed in the main window are happy with UTF-8, whereas the TOC pane won't support UTF-8 but will support Shift-JIS.

To be clear, I believe they were referring to RH6 and it sounds like some issues like this within 6 were fixed in 7. True?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi OnlineHelpFTW and welcome to the RH community.

RoboHelp does indeed support Asian languages but only from RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum :)

I know they support the Asian languages, it's really the encoding that I'm most worried about. Is it just UTF-8? Shift_JIS? EUC_JP? All of the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I have to say that I am not sure what Shift_JIS and EUC_JP are. In this case I hope someone else can pipe in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Wikipedia search results:

"Shift JIS (also SJIS, MIME name Shift_JIS) is a character encoding for the Japanese language originally developed by a Japanese company called ASCII Corporation in conjunction with Microsoft and standardized as JIS X 0208 Appendix 1."

"Extended Unix Code (EUC) is a multibyte character encoding system used primarily for Japanese, Korean, and simplified Chinese."

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp