Exit

White background appearing when exporting to EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Working in InDesign CC.

I am exporting a 45 page INDD file as a .EPUB. All placed images are exporting perfectly expect one - you can see the white box bordering the image below.

- I have tried every version of the placed image possible: .AI (original vector file), EPS, PNG, PSD, PDF.

- As I placed each file version I have made sure to check "Show Options" and confirm that any Transparent Background options where properly set. 

- I imagine I am missing a basic rule of placing images but am out of ideas!!!!!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

- Jason

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When export you file go to the conversion settings and make sure the png option is active if you leave here a jpg option active you will get the white background because jpg doesn't support transparency.Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 10.38.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of the selections (Automatic/PNG) on the Conversion Settings tab...still getting a white frame around the placed image. ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the frame filled with white?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, Yes - the frame is filled with white:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then…there you go. Mystery solved.

Remove the fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, apologies for the poor communication.

The Frame in the INDD file has no fill. The white fill appears in the exported EPUB file.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INDD screen shot:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPUB Screen shot (Kindle 3 Previewer):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other epub readers are you testing on? Have you tried Publish Online to see if it works there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried Publish Online...will try it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way you can share the file??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J,

Happy to share a file with the cover page (where the white fill issues is). What is share etiquette for this forum? Would a shared Google Drive folder suffice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J,

I Packaged the cover page only and dropped in this Google Drive folder.

Additional Note: EPUB Previewers are just not helping. Have uploaded file to Kindle (KDP), used Kindle Preview 3 app (local), and Adobe Digital Editions all to preview the EPUB file...all three look completely different, giving me even less confidence in solving this issue.

Appreciate all help in this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This are screen shots from IBooks (Mac) and Digital Editions (Adobe).

Your INDD file and the png file looks good.

I even made an Epub reflowable and rasterize de cover and the image looks good, probably could be a problem with kindle.

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 8.04.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-05 at 8.04.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J,

That is very helpful. So I will turn my attention to Kindle to solve.

Thank you for going the extra mile on this thread.

- Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't try kindle I did with a similar issue and they told me they could not help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for jumping in here.

This is exactly what I was getting at. Kindle is a nightmare for this type of thing and unfortunately, Amazon doesn't seem overly interested in doing much about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So lesson here is to set up an base INDD file for Print and PDF (Digital Distribution), then customize/strip it down/adjust it for various other distribution channels (Kindle/Ibook/MOBI). Am I on the right path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i think that would be the correct path to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Been trying to convert My indesign file of my children’s book to ePub format but that happens why can any one please help me with this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines