Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oversaturated images [Was: Hi, I need help.]

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from The Lounge to Photoshop Lightroom .]

I got a new computer, calibrated the screen. Lightroom and Photoshop are set up the way I have always used them. Working colourspace is Prophoto. When i save a web ready image for social media it is coming out very oiver saturated even without any tweaking. if i email the image to my phone it looks fine, if i send it via whats app to my phone the image looks over saturated. i need HELP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

First of all, make sure that you export your web images with the sRGB profile, and with the profile embedded. Lightroom always embeds the profile, but in Photoshop's Save for web you have to check Embed profile. (and Convert to sRGB)

If you have a wide gamut monitor, and are viewing the image in a non-color managed application, it will be over saturated, there is no way to avoid it. Most web browsers are color managed, but some websites strip out the profile, causing over saturation. (Edit: Inter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all the apps that you listed... what app do you feel is the issue? Lounge is not for technical help so please let us know where to send your question so that you can receive the help you require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you post screen shots of the dialog box where you are saving your web ready images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, make sure that you export your web images with the sRGB profile, and with the profile embedded. Lightroom always embeds the profile, but in Photoshop's Save for web you have to check Embed profile. (and Convert to sRGB)

If you have a wide gamut monitor, and are viewing the image in a non-color managed application, it will be over saturated, there is no way to avoid it. Most web browsers are color managed, but some websites strip out the profile, causing over saturation. (Edit: Internet Explorer and the Edge browser are not color managed, and should be avoided)

I'm not familiar with Whats app, but it might strip out the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JasonChildren  wrote

if i email the image to my phone it looks fine, if i send it via whats app to my phone the image looks over saturated. i need HELP

This is very strange. What kind of phone is this? It sounds like this might be a phone with a wide gamut screen such as the iPhone 7 that has a color managed OS (so no Android). On such phones, apps such as WhatsApp might strip the color profile from your images and they will look oversaturated if they are in a smaller color space than the display like sRGB. All color managed apps (which almost everything on iOS is) colors will look normal.

The same thing can happen on your desktop machine if you have a wide gamut display as noted by Per. If your process strips your icc profile from your image than certain web browsers will not display the images correctly on your display. Only Safari in recent versions and Firefox with the secret color-management setting turned on will work correctly with such profile-less images. All other browsers will not work correctly. This is why you always want to include the icc profile and make sure to not use anything in-between that strips it from your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a wide GAMUT monitor its new. My problem is my PS and lightroom settings are the same and I do nothing to colours straight from neautral raw out of my canon, save then to Jpeg and they are more saturated than what i see on my screen when viewed on other devices. It seems to be a little better but still not perfect. Makes my editing really tough and the screen has been calibrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines