• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help identifying a license plate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last Wednesday two guys started 2 fires on my property and drove off. I have night vision cameras but trying to extract a moving vehicle's plate is impossible, right?  Well I'm not so sure. I've identified the best frame of the video and I can see my state's name Massachusetts and the 6 symbols below. Beside fooling around with basic things like brightness, contrast, exposure, sharpening etc. Does anyone have an idea for an advanced method to lift the numbers?  Is there a method to darken certain pixels globally?  I know basically where the numbers or letters are. The gorilla technique I will try is individually darkening the darker pixels. Anyone have a better method?  My 86 year old father who is bedridden was near the fire. He would not have been able to get up had the house caught fire. Police and fire are investigating but in a high crime area this is going to be low priority to them. So any help would be appreciated.

license.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the actual image size?  85 x 53 pixels is a gray thumbnail without any detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I didn't say it was easy. There is some faint detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a laptop and those are not the best screens. I'll leave this to others with better hardware.

Do hope you find out who it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We get asked some crazy CSI type stuff here over the course of an average year, but this is far and awa the most crazy one I can remember.  There's nothing there to work with.  You should at least provide the whole frame.  That might have some motion blur clues that might help provide a start with the likes of the Shake reduction filter, but from what you have shown us, I kind of doubt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

spookmart  wrote

..........I can see my state's name Massachusetts and the 6 symbols below.

license.jpg

What 6 symbols? There is nothing in that screenshot even when enhancing the contrast.

There are only 4505 pixels and the video compression has grouped them into blocks of 16. Leaving out the left single column and bottom single row that makes the image consist of 28x13 square blocks or , effectively that reduces your image to just 273 pixels I hope you have more than this to go on.

If you have several frames you may be able to combine them using the technique below but you really need more pixels than that to pull out detail

https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines